Wood type?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SubGuy

Administrator
Zach
Any ideas on what this could be? Kinda smells bad when you work it. Picked it up at Woodcraft in the scrap bin.
Wood_0021.JPG

View image in gallery
Also Cherry I picked up.
and Purpleheart and Cocobolo.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Nice scores on the wood Zach. :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap As for your question, I'm pretty sure I saw a piece of that wood in the scrap bin at that yardsale yesterday. It reminded me of Ambrosia Maple, but the colors weren't the same. :icon_scra Is it persimmon? :eusa_thin

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Not sure what is in that top photo but you do want to wear a mask when you work that wood. Spalting is a fungus and some folks are more than a bit sensitive to it. I would also suggest that it not be used for anything that will touch any food. ... it is pretty, though.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I would vote for Persimmon for the top picture, I had some that looked just like it. Great figure when re-sawn and book matched.

Dave:)

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Persimmon stink? And what should I do with the wood? It has some cracks in it.

The only bowl blank I ever got from WC that cracked was persimmon. Cracked the night I turned it. Not sure what the MC was, but I figured, coming from them, it was probably fairly dry.

trentpics_159.jpg

trentpics_157.jpg

Well, given that, I might not try a bunch of bowls out of it, but you could get tons of great looking pen blanks and bottle stopper blanks that might not crack. :eusa_thin I'm no expert on wood, but I would assume that something as small as a pen or bottle stopper wouldn't be as likely to crack??? :dontknow:

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
I have to go with persimmon as well. This spoon:

HPIM1122.jpg

came from a board that looks like it was ripped from the right side of the one on the planer bed. The spoon's color is a little different from the amber effect of tung oil, but the board it came from could be used in the same project as your wood (or visa versa; just PM me for my shipping address :rolf: ). Oh yeah, the smell - none too pleasant. I began to wonder if a spoon was a mistake, but it is mostly decorative.

SubGuy

Administrator
Zach
It's hard but not bad to drill with a forstner. It's heavy and smooth grained. Finished out like glass on the planer. And like I said, kinda smell bad when cutting. Does this help any?

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
smooth grained. Finished out like glass

I was pretty convinced about persimmon until your last post. The little snippet I just quoted is not something you will hear me say about persimmon. The color is like yours and it smells unpleasant, but the grain is not easy to get a good surface on (IME; others may have stock that is smoother).

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
My first guess is B&W ebony. Not only does it look like it, but I've seen it in the "by the pound" bin at WC when they have a split, or broken piece. It stinks too.

jpr28056

New User
Joe
My first guess is B&W ebony. Not only does it look like it, but I've seen it in the "by the pound" bin at WC when they have a split, or broken piece. It stinks too.

I'm going to agree. I have a bunch of B&W Ebony pen blanks and they're a little funky when turning. They also look just like that wood.

CoolHandLuke

New User
Dave
It's hard but not bad to drill with a forstner. It's heavy and smooth grained. Finished out like glass on the planer. And like I said, kinda smell bad when cutting. Does this help any?

Those points all make me reaffirm my first vote,
And unless we've misdiagnosed the wood type, those dark streaks are not fungus/spalting. Should take a sweet polish and be very durable.

SubGuy

Administrator
Zach
Well I'm pretty sure it is B&W Ebony. I noticed something else interesting about the wood yesterday. The black is SUPER hard and almost like it has mineral deposits in it. REALLY smooth on the black parts. Thanks for the input guys!:icon_thum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS