Wood tube questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Volksdad

New User
Glen
George's suggestion also works well on a lathe large enough to make a 28" solid pipe. Cut in half and hollow out on a router table. You could even add some decorative coves and other features then.

Might even want to hollow it and glue it back together before turning it.

Ken I have no lathe. And no space YET for one. (Moving in September God willing...) but yeah a lathe would make this so much easier.

Volksdad

New User
Glen
Chris this was one of my plans, but I like the idea of a tube. And I thought I'd learn something in the process. I guess I am complicating things but the challenge is half of it, right?

Mark Gottesman

New User
Mark
with a couple of jigs you could do this on a table saw and some hand tools. The interior 1/2 circle could be step cut to remove most of the interior and scraped the rest of the way. The exterior could be cut to an octagon and then planed round or turned to a cylinder using a router or tablesaw jig to hold the billet.

"Primitive" tribes have been making blowguns with stone age tools for centuries. They even cut the internal tube on the bias to compensate for the droop. Not to shabby.

nn4jw

New User
Jim
Speaking as someone who does fly fish and has a fair amount of equipment I'm a little leery of wooden tubes. If they are thin enough to be light enough to carry then they are too delicate to protect the rod, which is their purpose. With fly rods the sky is the limit on price and you wouldn't want an expensive one damaged. (My most expensive one was around $500, not counting the reel, line, etc. and the cool fishermen would consider that a budget rod.)

Moisture, heat and humidity are issues too, especially with wood.

For myself I'd prefer either a plastic or aluminum tube with a veneered surface if I wanted the wood look. That way you get maximum protection and the beauty of wood.

YMMV, etc.

Edit - I meant to add that the inside of the tube needs to be padded as well.

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
Chris this was one of my plans, but I like the idea of a tube. And I thought I'd learn something in the process. I guess I am complicating things but the challenge is half of it, right?

Thats why we are here... as if life isnt complicated enough

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
If you go with the hollow spar method, realize that the outside diameter of 2" PVC pipe is pretty close to 2 1/2". Easy to find and easy to apply a release compound.

Go

Volksdad

New User
Glen
If you go with the hollow spar method, realize that the outside diameter of 2" PVC pipe is pretty close to 2 1/2". Easy to find and easy to apply a release compound.

Go

I noticed that, and got some at the Borg the other day.

bguil

New User
beeg
Since the best rods are bamboo, why not get a large piece of bamboo, split in two, add padding, then reglue to reform the tube. Easy to make ends to close, and light as well. If you store your rod in cloth bags, the padding may not be necessary.

Steve_Honeycutt

Chat Administartor
Steve
I thought about it... But do you know where I can get bamboo? I couldn't find a local source.[/

Try looking in the free section of Craig's List. I see quite a few listings several in the 2-3" diameter range. I am not sure if drying bamboo is similar to drying wood.

Steve H.

bguil

New User
beeg
There are a bunch of sites on Google which sort of surprised me. Try the following:
Cooper-Payne Tree Farms
Apex Bamboo
Charlotte Bamboo
Brightside Bamboo
Haiku Bamboo nursery
Appalachian Bamboo, and there are others.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
I thought about it... But do you know where I can get bamboo? I couldn't find a local source.

I like the bamboo tube suggestion especially if you use a soft cloth rod holder bag.

Haiku Bamboo Nursery is in Hendersonville, NC and Mr. Oshima is a bamboo craftsman that can help you with the design details. I don't think that your dimensions (2.5" id x 28" l) will be a problem. The video shows a few coffee cups so that's a start.

http://www.haikubamboonursery.net/

http://www.ourstate.com/videos/haiku-bamboo-nursery/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS