Wood tripod legs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pop

New User
Pop Ryan
I've always wanted a wooden tripod for my camera but could never afford those commercially made... or get the OK from the boss to spend that kind of money on one. I had looked all over the net for plans that looked workable, not too heavy and actually looked nice. After going to the site: http://www.skgrimes.com/tpod/index.htm I thought it looked pretty good to the eye and could be cut down enough to take away some of the weight too. I wound up using oak, mahogany and walnut for the finished project after I drew up my own plans and cut the size and weight down a good bit.

Completedlegsmountedontripodhead-sm.jpg

finishedcam-small.jpg

The walnut gave me the strength for the cam. The mahogany gave me the lightweight strenght I need for the slide and head mount. The oak gave me the strength for the legs side where I needed to cut the weight by making them thinner, yet stay strong because of the length.

nelsone

New User
Ed
That is a beautiful tripod you have put together! Looks like some great workmanship! The cam mechanism looks interesting. So how does work like you expected?

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Pop,

The detail you put into making such a beautiful project is unbelievable when most would see that as something purely functional. Outstanding!!! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

We have a cheap tripod for our camera, but it has served us well so far. I've heard that the heavier it is, the better, so if that becomes a reality for you, you can always add tons of finish. :icon_thum

Pop

New User
Pop Ryan
Just finished the last leg today and put it all together tonight. After a little 'field' testing this coming weekend at my son's taking pictures of the new grand-daughter, I'll let ya know. Then I'll put a urethane finish on it. I still need to come up with a square brass collar on the bottom of each foot to keep the wood from splitting where I put the feet and add a little 'bling' to the bottom of the legs. I made need to make a spreader for the inside of the tripod to keep the legs in line when it's opened up. Most tripods have them made out of aluminum but I may try small brass chain.

AmishWarlord

New User
Mitch
WOW! Really nice.

What would be cool now is a hollowed out large format field camera case to mount your digital camera in.

tachihara-mypic-medium.jpg

Pop

New User
Pop Ryan
WOW! Really nice.

What would be cool now is a hollowed out large format field camera case to mount your digital camera in.

tachihara-mypic-medium.jpg

I like the idea of enclosing my digital inside an older style body. It would be neat to take along to car shows with Ethel and take pictures of the kids sitting in it. Hmmmmmmmmm.....

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Beautiful job! Love the extension lock mechanism. It wouldn't take a lot more to adapt that to an equatorial telescope mount. :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Go

Pop

New User
Pop Ryan
Beautiful job. Would you be willing to share the source for the hardware you used?

Oh heck yeah.... Rick's ACE Hardware! 1/8, and 1/4 inch brass rod. Knurled nuts aboout a buck a piece...same place. A 6/32 die from my drawer full of taps and dies. A little cutting oil and lot of prayers as I was bending the brass rod. A little heat from my torch helped ease the tension as I bent the 1/8" rod...very brittle otherwise. The 1/4" rod was milled on my metal lathe (circa 1940 Sears) but can just as easily be filed to give a flat surface to drill. Then once they're done a little polishing with some steel wool. I wouldn't have had a clue where to find something already made for most of the stuff I build, so I usually make the stuff myself. Very gratifying.

I'd be happy to share the plans for the tripod too once I have all the bugs worked out. I usually do the plans up in Adobe Illustrator and then save them as a .pdf file so anyone can down load them and have at it themself. I'm always up for sharing plans and projects...can't take them with me.

woodlaker2

Ray
Corporate Member
Thanks. Will keep an eye out for the plans. Would like to try my hand at one for my son who is a photographer.

M

McRabbet

<snip>I'd be happy to share the plans for the tripod too once I have all the bugs worked out. I usually do the plans up in Adobe Illustrator and then save them as a .pdf file so anyone can down load them and have at it themself. I'm always up for sharing plans and projects...can't take them with me.</snip>

We would be very pleased if you uploaded the PDF file to the Download Library for members to use -- PM me if you have questions -- it is a beautiful tripod and I'm sure others would love to make one like it. And FYI, only members can download from the Library.

Pop

New User
Pop Ryan
McRabbet...working onthe .pdf file now. Have the plans them selves ready but am putting together a set of instructions with photos to help with the build. Might be toward the end of the week but won't be long I can share them with the group. The field testing went better that I expected. I think anyone would be happy with a set and they're easy to make.

eagleflight53

New User
John C.
I will also be looking for tripod plans! I look forward to working on this project! That is one beautiful job and craftsmanship. Thanks.
John C.

4yanks

New User
Willie
Very nice. I love projects that include function and beauty. You certainly have attained both.

Pop

New User
Pop Ryan
Plans are ready to upload but can't get them below 10 meg. Dial-up sucks so I'll have to take them into my sons and use his Cable to upload the plans. Dial-up really sucks sometimes.:BangHead:

T

toolferone

What a beautiful set of legs you have! LOL

Jokes aside it is a great tripod!! You dun good.

Pop

New User
Pop Ryan
OK...with the help of Rob Payne, the plans are now available on our download site. I had a bit of a time getting the file size down and then uploading them but Rob helped me big time. Enjoy and let me know what you think. I'll use your input to guage my next set of plans.:eusa_clap

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS