Wood / tree identification

Matt Furjanic

New User
Matt
E83BBDB7-9CEB-4CA1-93B7-770E9190AE64.jpeg
4C883C42-7090-4F94-954E-01452173F478.jpeg

I’m fairly good at identifying Long grain woods, But I’m not sure about this end grain piece. Maybe Red Oak would be my best guess, but just a guess. I would suspect you sawyers might have a more accurate description. Anyway, it turned out pretty nice, and I was surprised by the rays emitting from the center. Also if you look very closely at the very center, there are a couple of very small natural 5-point stars! Can anyone identify this?

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Chestnut comes to my mind, but totally a guess--it's been said, "a mind is a terrible thing to waste." And I feel wasted, even after drinking the whole pot this morning.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
After looking at my kitchen cabinets for a minute, my second, and a better guess is a variety of white oak. There are over 400 varieties of white oak according to many experts, and some of those varieties can be quite dark, and I think could be categorized as BLACK OAK. The finish is a clear lacquer.

Attachments

• Cabinets.JPG
    Cabinets.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 141

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Post some pictures of the bark. My guess is a type of red oak because of the darker (and reddish) heartwood, but the bark would be a better way to guess.

Last edited:

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
those stars are amazing. The whole is quite striking.
what are you going to do with it?

Steve Martin

New User
Steve Martin
I understand that NC State has a Forestry Program, a faculty member of which, can probably identify this wood. 919-513-0085 is a possible phone number.

Matt Furjanic

New User
Matt
Here is Black Oak bark for comparison.

I meant to ask what is this project for? Is there epoxy on it?

Yes, I used bar top epoxy. Not sure what to do with it. My initial thought was to make a table for a plant. But the finish turned out so nice and the piece is so interesting, I cannot have a plant hiding it. Any ideas? I just might hang it on my workshop wall and admire it from time to time...

awldune

Sam
User
Personally, I would hang it on my living room wall if I could figure out a good way to hang it. It looks great :)

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS