Wood Treatment Painting-Borate

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
In Hawaii, being a tropical area, 95% of all wood for exterior is either Pressure treated (CCA or ACQ) or Borate Treated.

Since I use a lot of Borate (Disodium Octaborate Tetrahydrate (DOT) or Sodium Borate) I was wondering if anyone has ever used the solution as a thinner in latex. I did a test panel and it went on well and mixed out fine. I guess if it will have a long term affect on the finish performance. I figured we paint over treated wood so it should be ok. But, I could not find anything in Google, or a Dogpile search on it. Of course, there are products being sold that are additives but I have a bunch of this so why buy something else. Anyone have any experience with this ?

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
This is a GREAT question - I wonder if anyone has an answer - I thought borate was a solid... I guess the product you are using is a liquid? ("Thinner in Latex")

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Borate you buy is basically 95% water. I did a test sample and it worked fine. I guess how long it will last is the question. Just could not find a thing on the net about this. I am going to try it on the underside of my deck and see what happens. One thing it thinned the paint perfectly for shooting with the spray gun.

Borax and Borates are derivatives of Boron. My guess considering how borax has a cleaning element to it, the Borate may reduce the adhesion of the paint when dry...... ergo paint the underside and see what happens, the perfect no fault test area.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS