Wood table top without gluing

rusty

New User
Rusty
Sometime ago i saw pics of a wood table with the top not glued together but with a small gap between them. The gap was consistent and precise, Maybe 1/32" or so. Not sure of how the individual top boards were affixed to the aprons but it looked high end. Any idea how this was accomplished?.
Also the 4 legs were cut through the top.

JohnnyR

John
Corporate Member
If it had an apron, just some screws through the cross braces. If I were to do it I'd dado the brace under the gaps to disguise them looking down thru the gaps.

rusty

New User
Rusty
Lumber was air dried under shed roof for 3 years and then stacked & stickered in garage for 1 year with plenty of air flow down here in Shallotte. The table top (54 x 42) consists of actual 2 x 6 & 2 x 8 white oak, quarter sawn, planed and milled. Did not want to glue up due to weight of top. Will use z-clips and cross braces underneath and have an accurate 1/32" gap between boards. My crystal ball says it will work, i hope.

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
Lumber was air dried under shed roof for 3 years and then stacked & stickered in garage for 1 year with plenty of air flow down here in Shallotte. The table top (54 x 42) consists of actual 2 x 6 & 2 x 8 white oak, quarter sawn, planed and milled. Did not want to glue up due to weight of top. Will use z-clips and cross braces underneath and have an accurate 1/32" gap between boards. My crystal ball says it will work, i hope.
What is the MC? My guess is around 11 to 12%. Once inside, your 1/32" gaps will widen up to 1/8" and the will not be uniform throughout.

Personally, I would use a wider gap, allowing me to clean debris that gets in between the boards through normal use and allowing a more uniform look after wood movement.

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
It could be done by rigidly attaching the edges of each board to each other with a 1/32" gap, but letting the whole assembly float on the stretchers.

I can think of a couple ways to actually do it, e.g. use a sliding dovetail joint running perpendicular to the boards (handles the movement and keeps the boards flat). Then use figure 8 clips to attach the edges of adjacent boards (to maintain the 1/32" spacing).

Not sure how you avoid having some sort of spacer(s) visible when looking down the gap though. Alternatively, you could use continuous spacers between the boards such as strips of 1/32" plexiglass to get around that...

The parent in me shudders at the thought of a table top with gaps in the top :)

-Mark

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS