Wood suitability and storage question

Status
Not open for further replies.

jerrye

New User
Jerry
There are some good deals on used lathes in this area, so I've been thinking of getting one. I have a goldenrain tree that I need to remove, and I'd like to know if anyone can tell me if it's worth keeping for turning stock.

If I had to guess I'd say the trunk is between 6"-8" in diameter from the ground to about 15' in height, and fairly straight. I can measure it if that info is critical.

The question is how suitable is goldenrain wood for turning?

If it would be good for turning, how should I preserve the wood once the tree is on the ground? Keep the trunk as long as possible, or cut it up? Seal the ends once cut?

If I were to try to get any more turning wood out of the branches, what should I look for to determine if they are keepers?

TIA.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Larry Hasiac is down in your area and is very experienced with all kinds of woods. Perhaps a local woodturning club could point you in the right direction to contact him. The usual google search says that the tree is an invasive species but valued as an ornamental tree. Figure an 8" diameter log will at best net you a bowl about 5" in diameter.

Cut a limb and observe the heartwood. If there are color variations, then its likely to give a good small bowl.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS