Wood Species

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgberry

New User
Matt
I have been looking around for a good book on how to identify wood species. I have found a couple books, but they seem to be more academic. I was hoping that it would discuss identifying by analyzing the grain as well as leaf patterns. Any suggestions?

Matt

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
This is a good one:
identifying-wood.jpg

:rotflm::rotflm::rotflm::rotflm:

Seriously....Hoadley is the best reference.

rbradford

New User
Richard
Maybe not all of what you're looking for, but a useful book - "Knowing Your Trees", G.H. Collingwood and Warren D. Brush. Published by the American Forestry Assoc. My copy came from the Cradle of Forestry in Western NC.

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
The following is a repost from an earlier thread on Wood Density, but the same books apply for your inquiry. I frequently reference both books myself and would not be without them

I'm sure you can probably find much of this on the web if you search, but I get my information from two books I always keep handy:

1. Wood Identification & Use [Revised & Expanded] by Terry Porter, Published 2006, ISBN 1-86108-436-6 or 978-1-86108-436-1. Specifies both densities (specific gravity) and cubic weights for each wood as well as known health risks and general information for each wood. Detailed information on over 200 species plus brief info on roughly 200 others. Price $29.95.
  2. The Real Wood Bible by Nick Gibbs, Published 2005, ISBN 1-55407-033-3 or 978-1-55407-04-6. Specifies cubic weights for each wood, shrinkage rates for common woods, large photos with and without clearcoat and general information for each wood. Detailed information on roughly 100 species. Price $29.95
I consider both of the above essential references in my collection and they compliment each other nicely.

A third book, Woodworker's Pocket Reference by Charlie Self, Published 2005, has some limited wood density and general information (incl. grading), as well as some other useful charts. Most useful for some just starting out in woodworking with some useful charts that any woodworker may find useful. ISBN 1-56523-239-9. Price $14.95.

CDPeters

Master of None
Chris
Here's an online resource from Virginia Tech that I've found useful. You start with a leaf and it steps you through the characteristics to identify a species. Once you get to a specific species, it gives you nice pictures of the bark patterns, ranges, fruits and flowers if any etc.

http://dendro.cnre.vt.edu/forsite/key/intro.htm

C.

mgberry

New User
Matt
I really appreciate every ones suggestions. Its exactly what I have been looking for. The 'Yep, Its Wood' piece had me laughing out of my chair!

Thanks

Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors