Wood species - color coding ??

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have been moving some of my wood into my lumber shed and I am attempting to make it organized
Is there a standard color for marking wood types ??
At least with my wood:
Blue = maple
Red = poplar
Black = walnut
Green = ???
Teal = anegrie
??? = cheery

Almost forgot GO DUKE

Jeff

New User
Jeff
I couldn't find a standard color code for wood species at the saw mill or elsewhere. You could contact the Hardwood Store and ask them about their color coding system (probably not an industry standard though).

I have some white oak from Scott Smith and it has no color code paint on the end.

Are the colors that you listed what you have in your wood supply?

Last edited:

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I always thought it was whatever color paint the Sawyer had on hand.

I'm pretty sure that Scott Smith colors his White Oak based on what tree it came from, not the species. That way if I'm looking through his wood and want pieces all from the same tree I select them to have the same color on the ends. Very useful when looking for wood that matches well for a piece of furniture.

Woodmolds

Tony
User
Generally in my past experience, different mills each used a different color. In other words color would be used to differentiate between mills.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
I spoke with Jeff Shaw (Hardwood Store) and Glenn Samuels (GPS Hardwoods) about color coding rough sawn lumber. There is no standard color code so devise your own color scheme and use them consistently for your wood stash.

TENdriver

New User
TENdriver
Phil, Probably not applicable to those having buildings full of lumber, but I write specific info on the ends of my figured stash.

Saves me from pulling and handling a piece of wood that won’t possibly “cut it” on a current project.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS