Wood screws: Moxon double screw vise and thread for leg vise

Status
Not open for further replies.

eyekode

New User
Salem
Thanks to Tom (toolferone) I got the chance to use a Beall wood threading kit like this one: http://www.bealltool.com/products/threading/bigthreader.php

Pretty cool kit. Especially the tap that has a guide in front of the threads to make sure you are taping in line with your pilot hole.

First up is a copy of Christopher Schwarz's Moxon twin screw vise: http://blog.woodworking-magazine.com/blog/Declaring+Victory+With+The+Doublescrew+Vise.aspx

69CG7238.JPG

View image in gallery

The handles I made by drilling 1.5" stopped holes in the ends of some wood blanks. The dowel is a hair less than 1.5" diameter. To make a good fit I assembled it with glue and something like a fox wedged tenon. The joint is made by cutting a kerf and sizing a wedge such that when pounded home it would make the dowel ~.01 or so wider than the hole . This is the first time I tried this and thought for sure I would screw it up but with a little thought and patience it was actually quite easy.

Then just for fun I pegged the dowel with some bamboo skewers driven into 1/8" holes:

I still need to shape the ends and I will probably use 1" dowel to make handles so it is faster to reposition the screw.

I used the same general dimensions from Schwarz' blog entry. I only diverged in the length of the clamping strip glued to the back. I made mine longer. I am not sure why he didn't make his the full length...

I like the outcome. Adjustment is a little slow (6 tpi threads) but it tightens up nicely and holds stock firm. I plan on using this mostly for sawing dovetails. I like that it raises the stock 6" off the bench. I also like that I can clamp it most anywhere (all of these pictures are clamped to my table saw).

Last but not least I also made a screw and block for a leg vise:

Note the ring I made for the garter. I don't have a lathe so I did it on the router table using some "V" shaped blocks to hold the dowel and a stop block to keep it from sliding. A little scary but worked like a champ.

Thanks again Tom!
Salem

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors