Wood Score - Want Some?

Status
Not open for further replies.

flatheadfisher

New User
Michael
I saw an add on Craig's List for a 4" belt sander. I have one but for some reason, the drive belt keeps breaking. So, I thought I'd check out the sander. Well, the guy was a woodworker and moving out of the country. I bought several boards from him - thinking I would use it to make cutting boards or boxes out of. However, I think some of this wood is beloved by turners - I think this guy had one of those spinners he gave to someone. He called this stuff Lignum vitae and said he bought it in New York for $200. It doesn't look like what I found on line for the Lignum vitae but, I don't know anything about it. Here is what it looks like:

953819865_fSNzd-X3.jpg

953815716_osi6c-X3-1.jpg

Here it is before the planer:

953829758_bttst-X3.jpg

Here is another view with a big walnut board beside it.

953811700_k7vtc-X3.jpg

Another view with the walnut board:

953810021_ka2NQ-X3.jpg

It is the board in the middle before I ran it through the planer.

953825421_bhH8d-X3.jpg

You can see the 12/4 walnut on the right and a 17" wide piece of oak on the left.

Here is a piece of 8/4 piece of Goncalo alves that is 26" x 8."

953805280_jQdnU-X3.jpg

Here is a chunk of walnut-

953823499_N9gyM-X3.jpg

The oak board is really nice although it has a water stain on it:

953814431_BJVdg-X3.jpg

I think this is a piece of mahogany on top of what I know is paduk:

953803336_wxrqT-X3.jpg

The really "sad" thing is that I went to Wall's Lumber and bought enough lumber to last me through the winter today. I got some nice walnut, hickory, maple, and cherry for cutting boards and some nice maple and cherry for boxes. So, I really don't need this stuff. If anyone wants some for turning, let me know. I got a good deal on the wood and I am happy to pass it on - just shoot me a pm.

BTW - here is the sander:

953817480_yeies-X3.jpg

zapdafish

New User
Steve
wow, nice score. I know lignum vitae is great for using as a sole for wooden planes. Think Navy's used it alot too, not sure for what anymore.

M

McRabbet

I don't think it is Lignum vitae. The wood in the first picture looks very much like Bubinga to me as does the rough surface in the third picture. It is very hard and dense, although not as dense as Lignum vitae, which will sink in water (Lignum vitae was used on the old three-masted ships for making live- and dead-eyes to hold up rigging). Here is a picture of some Bubinga that I purchased for a project a few years ago (from Wall Lumber, by the way).

Skymaster

New User
Jack
I have read that Lignum was also used for pillow blocks for prop shafts. I think it still is in limited use today for that purpose

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Lignum vitae has natural oils in it that make it the ideal choice for the aforementioned tasks. It is very stable and thus the wood of choice for making wooden clock motions & gears.

flatheadfisher

New User
Michael
I don't think it is Lignum vitae. The wood in the first picture looks very much like Bubinga to me as does the rough surface in the third picture. It is very hard and dense, although not as dense as Lignum vitae, which will sink in water (Lignum vitae was used on the old three-masted ships for making live- and dead-eyes to hold up rigging). Here is a picture of some Bubinga that I purchased for a project a few years ago (from Wall Lumber, by the way).

I think you are right on target, Rob. It looks just like that!

I just cleaned up the Paduk and it has lots of figure in it. I have never seen figured Paduk...

Woodmolds

Tony
User
I think you are right on target, Rob. It looks just like that!

I just cleaned up the Paduk and it has lots of figure in it. I have never seen figured Paduk...

I agree with Rob, it is Bubinga.

Occasionally we will see pieces of figured Padauk in units of regular lumber, though not often.

attachment.php

Tony

flatheadfisher

New User
Michael
I had several pms and I realized my intentions may not be clear. I am not really trying to sell these big pieces. I just thought some turners might like to have some blanks from these big pieces of wood and I'd let some go for a more than reasonable price. I don't have a lathe and I will just cut these pieces to make boxes or something out of. I don't have a bandsaw yet, so they will just be sitting in my shop collecting dust. It seems like a shame to cut up that big piece of 12/4 walnut into board when it has potential for turning. The Bubinga or whatever it is has some crazy grain and would make beautiful pens or duck calls or something. Who knows, maybe I will find a deal on one of those turn table things...

Michael

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS