wood rolling pins?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lonehunter

New User
Jeff
Hi everyone,

Not sure if this is where I should post this ? But lets give it a try.

I found a woodworking article on line on making a wood rolling pins. I thought I had bookmarked it. but apparently I did not.

I remember the process, but it sure would be nice to have the article to refer to.as far as the wood used.

I believe maple? was used with purple heart laminated for accent, rolling handles on turned pins inserted into the rolling pin.

If anyone remembers seeing this article and can head me in the right direction I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

Jeff

lonehunter

New User
Jeff
I found it!

Not exactly as I remembered.( C.R.S.)

Hard maple roller with purple heart handles with hard maple pins.

I could have sworn there was purple heart stripes in the roller.

Heck, I will add them.

Anyone see any potential problems with adding the purple heart stripes. Hard maple and purple heart are both fairly hard so I should not have any problems with smoothness!

Thanks,

Jeff

T

toolferone

Here is one I made of cherry and purpleheart. Let me know if you havea any questions.

lling_pin_2.jpg

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
I just made one the other day for LOML because I thought she didn't have one. [yeh right!] but she liked it anyway. I used ash for the roller and olive wood for the handles. I didn't like the pin the handles on idea. I used 2 roller blade bearings and a length of allthread. It rolls nice. no plans [exept in my head] It's so simple anydody can do it. [ I did]:gar-La;

rcflyer23

Kevin
Corporate Member
Did you take any pictures of how you did the bearings I think I have an idea how but just want to make sure.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
Did you take any pictures of how you did the bearings I think I have an idea how but just want to make sure.

I didnt get pics but all I did was measure the bearings [they were 7/8"] and drilled them on the lathe in the chuck. after all was done and I was sure it would work I put a piece of scrap in the chuck and tapered it to fit the holes. with that and the live center I used a presssure fit to finish turn the roller. sanded to 400 and burnished it with shavings and a paper bag. didnt want any finish on the roller. I drilled deep for the bearings so I could use a ferell on the handles to kepp them from splitting and the farell is hidden when assembled. I left about 1/16" clearance between the handle and the roller. the handles flare out at the roller so you dont see the bearings or the ferell. also the bearings I used had a protrusion on both ends and I allowed for that on the roller side by drilling a recess for it. I bored a 3/8 hole thru the roller to accomadate the 1/4" allthread without any rub on the inside. the outer part of the bearing rides the back of the 7/8" hole. I drilled and tapped the olivewood handles for the allthread. On final assembly I used some thick CA in the handle holes to keep them from backing out in use. dont overtighten the handles or it wont roll freely. I just snugged them then backed off a 1/4 turn. Once the CA sets they should stay there unless I realy want to get them back apart. It kind acts like locktight when used wood to metal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS