Wood Release?

rcarmac

Board of Directors, Secretary
Robert
Staff member
Corporate Member
Has anyone done something like a wood release.

Background: I am doing a project for a local town. The project required the cutting of some trees, one that was a pretty large size. I asked the town about taking some wood from that cut tree to make pens to give out at the ribbon cutting to significant town leadership.

The pieces of wood yielded more pen blanks then needed. I was thinking about making a few extra to donate to local civic groups in that town for them to raffle etc for fund raisers since the wood can be linked back to the town hall site.

Who owns the extra wood? Has anyone ever done a release that allows me to make more pens and donate them as wood from town campus? Is a release even needed? Or, can I not do anything with the extra wood?

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Did you sign a contract stating that the wood could only be used for pens to give the town officials?

If not then it seems you can do whatever you want with the extra...

rcarmac

Robert
Staff member
Corporate Member
Did you sign a contract stating that the wood could only be used for pens to give the town officials?

If not then it seems you can do whatever you want with the extra...

No contract. Just a conversation and the town was like "that would be nice". The wood was being hauled off anyway. I agree with you on the wood, but would it be a issue "marketing" where the wood came from.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
If I read this correctly that town gave or let you have some wood from a no longer wanted tree to do a project for the town. You did complete the project but now there are materials left over you want to use for other purposes. IMHO unless there was a written contract stating all excess materials are to be return, then it is yours to do whatever you want.

rcarmac

Robert
Staff member
Corporate Member
Scott, you got the general picture. I agree I can do whatever I want with the wood. But could I setup a table at say the Town’s fall festival and sell “pens made from wood for X town hall”. Could they say I could sell the pens but can’t use their name as a way to promote more sells. Because the location and where it came from would be the attraction. For example, I have seen pens made from Jake Daniels barrels. I assume when you buy that wood from whenever, it is assumed you can market it as a JD pen wood. Just curious if I did sell pens with this wood if the Town would have an issue about using their name to promote it.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Contracts both implied (verbal) and written, only can go to intent. So if you say give me some wood Mr City and Ill make some pens and you do not quantify then, 2 or 3 is "some pens". All the extra wood is unclaimed unless Mr City stipulates it wants all the excess unused wood back.

So .... the easiest way to do this is be forthright just tell them Ill need x-amount and Ill pick what I believe to be the best for the pen stock and make from that. I will remove and/or dispose any unused or excess left over amount and it will not be returned...... unless they pay you to return the unused portion.

I always tell them it is either a 2 hour min or 4 min time for logistics/storing and managing excess material that is to be returned. Then you steer them towards your position. Remember, you are helping them, it is not a problem to set up equitable conditions to an arrangement such as this.

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
Has anyone done something like a wood release.

Background: I am doing a project for a local town. The project required the cutting of some trees, one that was a pretty large size. I asked the town about taking some wood from that cut tree to make pens to give out at the ribbon cutting to significant town leadership.

The pieces of wood yielded more pen blanks then needed. I was thinking about making a few extra to donate to local civic groups in that town for them to raffle etc for fund raisers since the wood can be linked back to the town hall site.

Who owns the extra wood? Has anyone ever done a release that allows me to make more pens and donate them as wood from town campus? Is a release even needed? Or, can I not do anything with the extra wood?
What wood? It was all hauled away wasn’t it? The piece which fell off the truck remains ownerless.

red

Papa Red
Red
Senior User
I think you're way over thinking this. You made the pens and donated them for the cause. Great. The leftover is that, leftover. The leftover wood is yours.

Red

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS