Wood Rasps

Status
Not open for further replies.

CLetts

New User
Carl
This is a copy/paste from his blog.

Rasps to give you superpowers:
I use and am very fond of Auriou rasps, which are made in France and beat the pants off any other rasp I’ve tried, vintage or modern. You might disagree with me, but I’ve made my choice.
Whenever I mention Auriou rasps, woodworkers begin to feel a tingling in their wallet region. Yes, they are more expensive than the rasps you’ll find at home centers. A lot more expensive. But what if I told you that you could buy three Auriou rasps and pretty much be set for life?
I think that most furniture makers need only three of these tools. Here’s my short list.
1. A cabinet rasp with fairly coarse teeth for stock removal. I use the 9" Auriou with a 10 grain.
Bought - 2. A modeler's rasp with fine teeth for refining shapes. I own a 4" Auriou with 14 grain, which I don’t think the company makes anymore. I’d get the 6" with 15 grain, which is offered.
Bought - 3. A rattail rasp for coping inside corners and dealing with tight, radiused details. I have a 6" Auriou with 13 grain.
Aurious are available from a variety of sellers, including the source in France, Forge de Saint Juery. Here’s a list of where I have purchased them in the United States:
Lie-Nielsen Toolworks, which fits their Aurious with nice maple handles.

— Christopher Schwarz

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
I am lucky enough to own two Auriou rasps. When I bought these used I questioned the seller about the what I thought was high $20 cost, he said I would never find a better rasp and when he had me try them on a scrap piece I agreed. When I got home and did a search for them I was amazed at the $100+ price tag and only then realized what a deal I got. I have used them quite often since and they are absolutely the best.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Liogier is comparable to Aureou, also hand stamped but the price is better and in my opinion they are just as good. The company makes them to order and ships them to the US from France at a very low fixed rate shipping cost. I have the basic set of three that Chris described above and have supplemented with some specialty rifflers and such from them. I haven't been as lucky as Phil to find these at flea market prices - dang - but have been willing to pay a premium price for a premium tool that will last my lifetime.

I have a cheaper set of rasps that I no longer use and plan to donate to the Outreach Trailer as they could use a set occasionally.

BTW, Chris also mentioned the Liogier rasps in his blog and they quickly stopped taking orders for them as they became backlogged. They've recently resumed taking orders.

kooshball

David
Corporate Member
Liogier is comparable to Aureou, also hand stamped but the price is better and in my opinion they are just as good. The company makes them to order and ships them to the US from France at a very low fixed rate shipping cost. I have the basic set of three that Chris described above and have supplemented with some specialty rifflers and such from them. I haven't been as lucky as Phil to find these at flea market prices - dang - but have been willing to pay a premium price for a premium tool that will last my lifetime.

I have a cheaper set of rasps that I no longer use and plan to donate to the Outreach Trailer as they could use a set occasionally.

BTW, Chris also mentioned the Liogier rasps in his blog and they quickly stopped taking orders for them as they became backlogged. They've recently resumed taking orders.

i have the three suggested above by Liogier. They are great for a variety of tasks but I have never done a side by side comparison...but they work for me.

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors