wood planner- yikes

Keye

Keye
Corporate Member
I have used a 13 inch Delta planner for over 30 years. Yesterday I was planning some 4"wide cherry when things went south. A loud noise so I cut the planner off. Raised the cutter head and pulled out the wood. A large chunk was missing. The grain is a little squirrelly, not the best cherry. I thought this might be the problem. Tried a different piece and the same thing happened. I took the covers off to look at the cutter head. There was a piece of wood between the blade lock down cover and the blade. All 7 bolts were so tight I had a hard time taking them out. The blade is OK but the lock down cover is bent. This is a stout piece of metal only 13" long held down by 7 bolts. I am stunned it is bent . Thank goodness for Renovo. They had a set.

Took all the parts off to do the maintenance I have been slack about.

This raises a question, how do I get the infeed and outfeed rollers to move so I can clean them all the way around? Cutting the planner on to move them does not seem like a good idea.

This is also a good reminder not to stand behind the planner. I was lucky because I was not standing in the right place.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Help us out here.
What model of 13" Delta planer was it?
1  22-101.jpg
22-101

1  22-401.jpg
22-401

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
I Have a Powermatic 15 in. plane. I sold tools at both Lower & Woodcraft. Both stores sold both of these planes. I keep with power tools as to quality , price & performance. You can only get so much in the so called "lunch box" plane. The DWQ 449 is light weight smaller motor etc. The D-735 is a hoss. Much heaver than the 449. it is priced higher and I think it's worth the extra. 2 speed, blade height locks larger motor etc. Go take a look at both machines. I think you will come away with a D-735 tucked under your arm. JMHP

Pop

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Oops. My bad. I misread the question about the rollers and assumed it was the bed rollers.
A 13" Delta planer that has been used for the last 30 years precludes the suitcase models. Delta's first suitcase planer was only a 12" model, the 22-540 coming out in 1992 I think. Their 13" planer came out in 2003, the 22-580. I must therefore conclude the planer in question is either a 22-101 or a 22-401.

I've worked on the 22-101 and to get the feed rollers out, one has to disconnect the drive on one side and remove the side plate on the other side. No small task. Not sure about the 22-401 because I've never had to do that. From the parts illustration, it doesn't look easy.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
In the off chance the planer is a 22-580 and you want to remove the feed rollers for cleaning, know that it is a tedious job. the drive chains have to be taken off, but there are little clip brackets under the roller bearing blocks that can be removed and then the rollers dropped down.

Attachments

• 1  22-580 - 1.jpg
    1 22-580 - 1.jpg
    271.2 KB · Views: 192
  • 1  22-580 - 2.jpg
    1 22-580 - 2.jpg
    237.2 KB · Views: 204

Keye

Keye
Corporate Member
In the off chance the planer is a 22-580 and you want to remove the feed rollers for cleaning, know that it is a tedious job. the drive chains have to be taken off, but there are little clip brackets under the roller bearing blocks that can be removed and then the rollers dropped down.

I plead old age for how long I have had this planner. I would have bet the farm I had it before we moved in 2000. It is a 13"two-speed finishing planer model 22-580. The manual says to clean the infeed and outfeed rollers using soap and water and scrub with scotch brite pad.

Bob, I am a little confused. You wrote, "there are little clip brackets under the roller bearing blocks that can be removed and then the rollers dropped down." Can this be done without removing the drive chains and is it worth doing.

While I am asking questions. The drive chains are what I would call very loose. Is this normal?

Funny story on how I ended up with this planner. Stopped by woodworker supply on the way home from Raleigh. They had this planner on display with 3 missing parts. What I would call cosmetic parts. They were practically giving it away. I went to the counter and told the guy I wanted to buy it. He was new and extremely slow. By the time he finished I turned and saw a guy walking out with the planner. He was at the other end of the counter buying the planner. The salesman had a really strained look on his face. He said he would be right back. I waited quite a while. Finally he came out of the back bringing 22-580 new in the box. They sold me the planner at the give away price. They earned a very loyal customer.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
The little clip brackets are held up into the top casting by a couple of socket head cap screws. There will be four of those, of course. Yes, the drive chains have to be removed. Yeah, PIA, but that's the way it is. Just know that getting the feed rollers out of about any planer is equally annoying. Some way worse than others.

The looseness in some of those chains has to be there to accommodate the upward and downward motion of the feed rollers as a piece of wood is moving under them.

The date of the introduction of the 22-580 is assumed by me because of the date of the parts illustration. The illustration is usually printed as soon as a machine comes out. It could be that the date on mine is skewed because sometimes Delta updates their illustrations without denoting a second updated printing.

I usually have good paperwork on the full size Delta machines and not the home shop type stuff. I just happened to have a picture of this one because a school coerced me into working on it. It was in a middle school shop that had a lot of the bench top machines.

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
Bob, looks like the chains have a master link held on with a cotter pin. Wouldn't have to use a chain breaker to remove the chains.

Roy G

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
If I were doing it, I'd use snap ring pliers and just slide things off the ends of the shaft.
I've dealt with those little cotter pins in the past and have learned not to ever try it unless I had several extras at hand when the originals get lost. Snap rings are easier to find.

riggsp

Phil
Corporate Member
Be aware that if you remove the infeed and outfeed rollers, you'll have to readjust them to the proper height and parallel to the bed. Otherwise it will either not pull the wood through because the rollers are too high or it will be hard to get it to feed because the rollers are too low.

Last edited:

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Not necessarily on this particular machine. If the bottom plates are removed without touching the middle adjustment screw, and the plates' positions are noted, Things will go back to normal when the two socket head cap screws are re-installed.

Keye

Keye
Corporate Member
Thank you to all. The rollers will remain in place because I would like to use this planner again.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors