Wood near Columbia SC

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I live in Lexington, outside Columbia, SC. Somebody asked where to get wood in this area and I posted what I remembered but I have been working on my house and not purchased hardwood in >5 years :(. Until today. I have some oak and a little cherry so I have had some wood, just not purchased any. But I got the major projects on the house under control and are going to make another bed. It is based upon a headboard in Woodsmith #34. I will turn the design into a platform bed and make the nightstands and dresser.

Anyway, I needed the 8/4 the design calls for in the headboard and I will use in the footboard plus some long 5/4 boards for the rails. I used to go to Woodworks Inc. 237 Glenn Rd, West Columbia. But when I called their number I got a recording that the number is disconnected. The guy that ran it was talking about retirement when I was last in there so I guess he did it.

So I went to Wurth at 4250 Golf Acres Drive near the airport in Charlotte. I've purchased wood there before. The don't have a super large inventory of hardwood but they have a website and you can check to see if they have what you want before you go there. I think they sell a lot more plywood than hardwood. They are friendly and easy to deal with. You just look through what they have, then have a warehouse guy write you a ticket, go inside and pay, and they have your wood at a loading dock when you come out.

I've gone further into NC several times but don't remember the places. I also had wood brought to me one time which was great.

I don't think there is anything in this area any more, but the Charlotte airport is only an hour from the Northeast side of Columbia, an hour and a half from where I live. I really like the fact that this website is a great way to find good wood. I will need a large cherry slab for a dining room table sometime, probably next year, and I'm sure I can find it using this website.

I looked in the "Articles" section to find Wurth. Even though I've been there a few times, I had forgotten the name and didn't have the address.

Brantnative

Jeff
Corporate Member
Mann Tool and Supply is on your side of Columbia, near the intersection of I26 and I20. Not sure if they have exactly what you want but they are a great source for both tools and wood. They also have a Rockler store.

zdorsch

Zach
Corporate Member
Jim,

I’ve driven up to Iron Station to Kyle Edwards place and bought lumber from him—but I saw in another recent thread he is going to soon close.

I’ve also bought lumber from Mann Tool, but they’re expensive (Rockler dealer). I bought some walnut from them recently and the quality was good, but had I needed more than a few board I would have gone somewhere else. I seem to recall they had some 8/4 oak.

This ad has been on Craigslist for a while:

https://columbia.craigslist.org/mat/d/mobile-sawmill-services-tree/6706735340.html

And there is another guy on FB marketplace advertising slabs and a new kiln:

https://m.facebook.com/CarolinaCustomSawmill/

I’ll confess that I haven’t needed to purchase lumber in a while either (in-laws are building and my father in law had trees taken down and cut into lumber).

Last edited:

JimD

Jim
Senior User
Thanks for the other sources. I know Mann has lumber, maybe I should have looked there but I tend to go there only when absolutely necessary because I have never been very happy with their pricing. I see a lot more exotic wood there than I do domestic hardwoods. But I haven't looked very hard. I am thinking of getting a SawStop, however, and I will look there. The price won't be great no matter where I get that saw.

The other adds are more interesting. I used to buy from a sawmill in Pennsylvania and liked it. One of the places I went in NC was a mill in a pasture and was also a nice place. I got some cherry there that is in my Daughters furniture. Even when the price is the same I prefer to go to a mill. But anybody with a decent supply of wood that will let me pick out my boards and is charging a decent price is somebody I will buy from.

It would be nice if buying hardwood would be as easy as getting a 2x12 but it has always taken a bit more effort in my experience. But the effort is typically a day or less time and the results last a very long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors