Wood Movement Facts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glennbear

Glenn
Mike Davis recently posted a link to a wood movement calculator in this forum which is quite helpful. Another member posted some wood flooring for sale here and while poking around at the site selling the wood I ran across this link which does a darn good job of explaining the "nuts and bolts" of why wood moves. Not everybody wants to know "why" but I have an inquisitive mind .:gar-La;

http://reallycheapfloors.com/waterwood.pdf

Since I am planning to replace my carpeted floors with some sort of wood the info presented was quite helpful.

Bob Carreiro

New User
Bob
Wow, Glen,that was pretty extensive! Like you say, I think it may be a little more than your average Joe-bag-a-donuts would be interested in. Thx for posting.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
A word of warning from my experience. If you have foot problems or cold feet you'll prefer the existing carpeting.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
The link is a good read and thanks for posting it. As woodworkers we should have a better understanding of the dynamics involved with those seasonal changes. However, the average homeowner is clueless and the first reaction is to call the installer for a fix.

At this time of year our home ranges from 65-72 degrees with a relative humidity of 36-50%. No problem with the white oak hardwood floors.

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
I replaced the carpet in my house with pre=finished oak flooring. I was fortunate to have plywood sub-flooring so I could nail it down. When I took up the old carpet, I was amazed at the amount of dust underneath the old carpet pad. i'm glad I took up the old stuff so I won't be breathing all the dust particles. We put down rugs in a few places and wear slippers around the house, so the comfort factor didn't come into play.

Roy G

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS