Wood Identification

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodlaker2

Ray
Corporate Member
Does anyone know of a site which provides good pictures of wood samples along with some descriptive information about each on line? I have both Hoadley books and others along with several color veneer charts but can't get a fix on what some slabs cut from a sunken log might be species-wise. I'd attach a pic but don't seem to be able to make that happen with my limited technical skills in that department. Any help would be appreciated.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/

That is by far the most complete one I have ever stumbled on. Be forewarned that it is so complete that it can be confusing; there are typical and atypical pieces of just about every wood.

EDIT - Re-reading your post, I wish you luck. Sinkers are about as atypical as it gets. I have seen sinker cypress that looked like walnut.

lbtripp

New User
Lyell
Ray,

Woodworkerssource.com is a good site. They show pictures of the species, show origin, what the species is mostly used to build, hardness, grain, how difficult/easy to machine, how difficult/easy to finish, etc. They show domestic hardwoods, as well as South American and African hardwoods.

They have a kit that costs $ 99.00 which includes 30 - 3" x 5" wood samples and a book. It is well worth the money. I bought the kit and use it often. It is especially convienent to show customers when I am commissioning furniture.

Hope this helps.

Lyell

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
+1 for the Hobbit House site Andy posted. Especially good for identifying wood using the end grain.

Bill

woodlaker2

Ray
Corporate Member
Thanks to those who responded to my question. Some helpful and interesting sites identified for wood identification.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS