Wood identification please

Mauser44

New User
John
hi.

I've had the below pieces for a few years, and I labeled them black redwood.
Can't find much on the web to compare with. And what I can find indicates that black redwood is uncommon.
Any suggestions or idea what those could be?
Wood is very soft and has no distinctive smell..
thank you
20200825_171550.jpg
20200825_171611.jpg

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
Do you recall where you got the wood? Is it a native species, or something imported? Any extra information might help identify it.

Mauser44

New User
John
Do you recall where you got the wood? Is it a native species, or something imported? Any extra information might help identify it.
I bought it off one the FB blank trading pages. I tried to find the thread or contact but it was a while back. I recall the seller was from CA but that may not mean much.this was when I started wood turning and was unwilling to spend much on blanks. So it must have been "cheap"; l assume it is a domestic wood or the person sold an exotic wood at a discount.
The wood does not have a distinctive smell and definitely not the walnut smell. I turned a piece a while back and It is very soft, almost like spalted wood, but sands really smooth.

JohnW

New User
John
In California it's somewhat popular to char (burn) redwood to give it an aged look. They use it as shiplap and siding. Some aged spruce/redwoods can look similar to your pic and they are soft. But the char is typically on the outside layer. Can't tell from your pic but it appears like the color on your sample is not just on the outside. Another possibility is sinker wood. Depending on type of wood and color of the mud, they can get black. And the color goes throughout the wood cells, not just on outside layer.
Matt's suggestion of ziricote might be possible. But it's fairly hard.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS