Wood Gloat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dragon

New User
David
Well, finally got to get out and put some trees on the ground today. Woodman2k was kind enough to tag along and lend a hand :eusa_clap and got some really great stuff out of the deal. I took more pics than I can put in this thread right now because I keep getting an error message about "extraneous bytes" before line something or other and "JPEG is not a valid file" such and such.:BangHead:

Anyway, here's a couple that I was able to get uploaded. First is a big ole Maple tree that we got some very nice pieces from.
SANY00192.JPG

Here's Mr. Woodman himself :icon_cheers all juiced over a nice Walnut crotch that he swears he's going to make something way cool with.
SANY0021.JPG

I'll try to get more pics posted up tomorrow morning early and see if the results are any better. All in all, we dropped the one huge Maple, a nice sized Pecan, and two Walnut trees. Still got wood on the ground we've got to go back after and a few more trees to cut as well.

One note of warning to everyone. I had a really close call when up in the Maple cutting off a limb. One of the side branches grabbed the chainsaw on the way down, jerking it down and into the toe of my left boot. Dang near had two left feet for real. Ruined a decent pair of combat boots but fortunately, just barely nicked the top of the third toe. When I looked down, the boot was ripped, sock had been pulled up through the hole, and my foot was kinda numb.:eek: Figured this ain't gonna be good.:eusa_pray Once I got the boot off and didn't see body fluids pouring I was pretty sure I'd barely escaped a very serious injury and trip to the ER. It took a bit to get my act back together enough tie the laces back together and get on with the day. You guys and gals be careful out there. Even though I was paying attention and being careful, one little limb was enough to snatch the saw down out of my control and shove it into my boot. I was lucky today.

farmerbw

Brian
Corporate Member
Sounds like you got some nice wood down. :thumbs_up

Glad your run in with the chain saw wasn't worse and the injury wasn't serious. It only takes a second to do some real damage to flesh....

Brian.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Nice wood. I am jealous.

Glad to hear you weren't hurt, and that you recognized a "wake-up" call for what it was. I use a chain saw a lot, but have gotten to the point that I will not use one on a ladder. A gnarly ugly one like that maple would have me sweating with a bow saw, but just ain't young enough anymore to attempt it with a lot of horse power. I undercut any hanging limbs first (even if the tree is on the ground, and do it bow saw or power). Don't seem to get as much pinch that way. Probably speaking to the choir there, tho, as you have a lot more experience than I. I also know twist can happen even with the best planned cut, and you don't have to be on a ladder to not be able to get out of the way.

That said, and you not hurt, calls my dark humor side to fore:

Good thing you weren't wearing steel-toed boots. Would have really messed up the saw chain!

Now you know what a "toe-wedgie" feels like!

Shucks. Underwear is cheap, but combat boots ain't these days!

You didn't really think you would get away scot free, did you?:wwink:

Be safe, friend

Go

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
David, very glad your accident was not more serious. That looks like a great wood score :icon_cheers. Congrats to all.

Truefire

New User
Chris
David if you are willing to bust open that piece of beautiful walnut that you are sitting on or perhaps some of the pecan i would really love to buy some pieces from you.

I am serious. I want some pecan and have been for some time. What i am looking for are pieces small enough to be dried for game calls. THanks a million for any considerations.

Chris

Woodman2k

Greg Bender
Corporate Member
Chris,
I'm the one sitting on the walnut and have some fairly good size pecan at home from the mission posted above.PM me and let me know exactly what you are needing and we will take care of you.Talk to you later,
Greg

sbarnhardt

New User
Barney
some pecan and have been for some time. What i am looking for are pieces small enough to be dried for game calls. THanks a million for any considerations.

Chris

What size pieces are usable for something like this? I've got 4-5 trees that will probably be trimmed up before next spring. 3 of them are pecan with 1 maple and 1 aggravating old pin oak.

Barney

Dragon

New User
David
David if you are willing to bust open that piece of beautiful walnut that you are sitting on or perhaps some of the pecan i would really love to buy some pieces from you.

I am serious. I want some pecan and have been for some time. What i am looking for are pieces small enough to be dried for game calls. THanks a million for any considerations.

Chris

Plus 1 to what Greg said. He or I will make sure you get some pecan and/or some walnut. :icon_thum

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Chris in Fountain:

Almost all the wood in this picture is pecan. Been sitting for over a year. I am just down the road from you in Patetown (about 6 miles down 111 after you follow 222 to 1 mile past Eureka.) PM me if you can use any of it. Except for a few pieces I'll keep for smoking meat, its free to a good home.

pecan5.jpg

Go

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS