Wood/finish for porch?

Etibbs

New User
Tibbs
Hi there! First post here; not in NC but just outside of Athens, GA.

I just screened in our back patio with about 26” knee wall and I’m in the process of tiling it now, should finish tomorrow.

On to my question: I plan on building a low enclosed TV cabinet (apx 36”H x 42”W x 14”D), mostly out of plywood. I’ll build it with bifold pocket doors. The plan is for it to be painted white with a stained top. Top will probably be pine. Any recommendations on paint/sealer for top or any other suggestions for this build?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• F635FD3C-34FB-4A8D-BBBF-839899A69821.jpeg
    F635FD3C-34FB-4A8D-BBBF-839899A69821.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 163
  • EC55944E-081F-4B10-B3E1-BDF6A2C4DF55.jpeg
    EC55944E-081F-4B10-B3E1-BDF6A2C4DF55.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 167
  • E5525033-F3CD-4A8E-A2AA-5F35EEBD498D.jpeg
    E5525033-F3CD-4A8E-A2AA-5F35EEBD498D.jpeg
    963.6 KB · Views: 158

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
I would use some kind of hard wood on the top, it will hold up better to weather and general abuse. Oak, Maple, Ipe or you could go with the Phenolic top. Phenolic plywood has a hard plastic top for the top ply.
For the top any of the Spar type varnishes would do the trick for that. For the sealer, most would work, I would stay away from the water based for outside. For paint after priming you can go pretty much any type outside house paint.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Por-15 or Rust Bullet paints are almost industructable. I think POR-15 comes in white.

Etibbs

New User
Tibbs
Thanks for the replies! What about wood type for the trim pieces, door frames, etc? Since it’s going to be painted. I was thinking poplar but I don’t know how it will hold up.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
The plan is for it to be painted white with a stained top. Top will probably be pine.

abinet will be against the windows of the house which is centered.

So the cabinet is protected from rain and direct sunlight by the roof above it? An exterior primer and paint will be fine for the cabinet (inside and outside should be primed).

Use a top quality marine Spar Varnish like Epifanes, and don't use the low quality spar varnishes from the big box stores! Why does the pine top have to be stained with what?

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
True marine spar varnish is more flexible and handles the movement of the wood better.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Here I don't know. I used some house brand from a chandlery in Annapolis when I lived in Md. Maybe you can find a wooden boat forum?

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Any recommendations on brand/type and where I can get it from?

Epifanes is the brand/type that I recommended but you probably won't find it locally. Order it here (about $45/quart):

I like the grain and natural color of pine, however my wife will want something darker.

This is yellow pine with a gel stain.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-04-25 at 9.55.05 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-04-25 at 9.55.05 AM.png
    3 MB · Views: 143

Etibbs

New User
Tibbs
just wanted to give an update:

Finished the cabinet, just waiting on door pulls to come in. Ended up using 3/4 Baltic birch. It’s heavy. Heavier than I anticipated but it’s not going anywhere. There are a few things I could have done better and have made notes in my journal (I keep a journal book for project I do when I decide I want to do something and leave afterthoughts once completed). Wife wanted gloss and I wanted matte, so we comprised and settled on satin. After completed, I got one of those rare “you were right” moments. We used BEHR exterior marquee; color is Starless Night. The finish was less than desired but we could still distress it some to take away from the starkness of it. Still a little tacky in some places even though we gave about a day between coats. I’m happy with it for now considering this was one of the biggest things I’ve built to date, excluding the porch itself and a locker/bench at the garage entry.

Any thoughts, opinions, advice, etc I am open to.
764AE5EA-DD2F-46F6-9FBF-909602112D18.jpeg
FB522D28-5214-45F3-9CDE-D4DEC38CCAD9.jpeg
B2892973-499D-438B-A50F-F0BC50264B8A.jpeg
DB9316CF-3D18-436B-AA6F-BB542B9599FD.jpeg

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Nicely done. It looks fine to me and you didn't need Epifanes spar varnish after all.

After completed, I got one of those rare “you were right” moments. We used BEHR exterior marquee; color is Starless Night. The finish was less than desired but we could still distress it some to take away from the starkness of it.

Why do you say that? Who was right about what?

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS