wood choices

Keye

Keye
Corporate Member
When I decided to turn my golf club shop into a woodworking shop my goal was to learn how to make furniture. I have made complete bedroom suits, dinning tables and other pieces of furniture. There days are over. I may make a small table with breadboard ends or a sofa table but that is about it.

Two things have lead me in this direction, the cost of wood and the hard work. Anything I make now may be small but quality is still important. I have always worked with cherry, walnut and mahogany. Even small pieces with these woods can reach $50 plus.

I know almost nothing about other woods which might meet my needs. I certainly do not need to limit myself to hardwoods.

Any suggestions for other woods, less costly, which work and finish fairly well would be appreciated.

I have always planed my wood so I do not need finished lumber.

JNCarr

Joe
Corporate Member
Sapele is a less expensive, more sustainable wood than mahogany that has the same relative look. It's very easy to work and takes a range of stains so you can push it redder or browner. It's chatoyance is gorgeous in and of itself.
Hard maple is another easy to work wood and can be pushed from nearly white to mid-tones easily. Of course if you start getting into flame or birds eye, the cost goes up.
A real favorite of mine is ambrosia maple (often called wormy maple). It's very inexpensive (comparatively), very easy to work and can take a number of stains.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Try an end run. Make friends with someone with a sawmill. Get green lumber and dry it yourself. Let it sit outdoors covered for a couple of months then bring it inside. Stack and sticker it. In a climate controlled shop it should be dry in about a year. I once read of someone that stacked the wood under his bed. Not a bad idea because the wood will be in a climate controlled environment. Modern air conditioning and heating make for very dry air.

If you're looking for cheap wood, think about the spongewood 2x4s from the big box stores. That's not something you want to sink skilled labor into.

Ash may be a good option.

SabertoothBunny

SabertoothBunny
Corporate Member
Maple, ash, white/red oak and poplar are all versatile woods that can cost less than the mahogany or walnut. Cherry is a really versatile wood that is often on the cheaper side by comparison. Wood choice is also a lot about the purpose and use of what your building. Poplar may not be ideal for some furniture due to it being softer but good for staining and more show than use items. When stained and finished well poplar is often indistinguishable from maple.

Maybe try to find some smaller mom & pop type places that slab and sell lower than more established businesses. You could let those slabs air dry, or find a place to kiln dry them, for use when your ready if you have the ability to clean them up and process them. That requires space to store wood and tools to do the work but it is an option.

Your question is fairly broad and open to a lot of personal opinions. Hope this helps.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS