Wood Choice for Mallet

Status
Not open for further replies.

hpetty

New User
Hugh
I saw plans in one of the woodworking mags (can't remember which right now) for a wooden mallet with an intriguing dovetail for the handle. Thought I would try my hand, but I'm a little stumped over what wood I should use. The plans call for the head to be 2 1/2" x 5". I have some good red oak, but it's only 2". Woodcraft has quite a good selection o exotics that are that thick, but I'm not sure what wood would be the best choice. Anyone out there have some suggestions?

R

rickc

Just an admitted WAG - what about maple or ash? Seems like ash holds up good for baseballs! :lol: Doubt you would be striking anything with as much force as that!

hpetty

New User
Hugh
rcorne01 said:
Just an admitted WAG - what about maple or ash? Seems like ash holds up good for baseballs! :lol: Doubt you would be striking anything with as much force as that!

I probably should have added a couple of notes. Due to the amount of handwork required to make the mallet I wanted to use wood that is not only durable and "workable" with standard handtools, but also readily available in that thickness from a local source. I thought something unique for a unique mallet design might be in order.

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
Dogwood or holly make pretty good mallets. I got some sticks from a landscaper who removes diseased plants sometimes.

JohnsonMBrandon

New User
Brandon Johnson
i think you could also use hickory. I have heard of other people making mallets out of hickory. I may even have some hickory logs from a tree that was cut down a few weeks ago that you are welcome to. Might want to get someone to confirm that it is a good choice though.

woodguy1975

New User
John
I prefer round mallets to square mallets in most cases. I've made a few of these in different sizes and weights. I used hard maple for the handle and boodwood or purpleheart for the heads.

mallet.jpg

Just throwing out options. This one was actually shown in Wood Magazine last year I think.

John

DaveO

New User
DaveO
You might consider Ipe, it's hard as heck but works pretty well. You can find it in 4x4's for deck work. If you were closer I would give you a piece that I have, it weighs about 15# and is a foot long.

Dave:)

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
I think it was in either Woodsmith or Shop Notes. The mallet head was made up of three pieces, with the handle dovetailed into it. It also had leather faces on ends. I have a turned one which a friend gave me, similar to one previously show in this thread, only made from one kind of wood-hard maple. Check thrift stores for old baseball bats for turning stock for mallets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS