Wood Burning

Status
Not open for further replies.

NCJim

Jim
User
My wife would like to get into wood burning. She is an artist and would like to do a combo of painting and wood burning. Any suggestions on a GOOD starter set. Something of decent quality she can try but not break the bank in case she doesn’t like to do burning.

Also, anyone have a used set they want to sell?

farmerbw

Brian
Corporate Member
We got a kit from Colwood for my wife about 10-12 years ago and haven't regretted it yet. We got a Detailer with detachable tips kits and it's worked like a champ. We had to replace the switch on it about 5 years ago, but it was a quick and cheap fix. I've lost count of how many tips my wife has worn out over the years working on both hard and soft woods doing various projects, but she loves it.

We mainly do a lot of mixed burning with paint/stain. These are the sides for a play table we made for out kids, their handprint outlines are burned as well as the letters. There's some more items in my gallery if you're interested in seeing more.

There are other folks who do pyrography on the forum so hopefully they'll chime is as well.

HTH,
B.

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
I hope Michael Matthews responds to this, he is an artist! My experience is limited, but I do know that you need to buy the best piece of equipment you can afford. The cheap sets are just that, cheap. This is something that if you get frustrated because of the equipment, it's over.

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
My wife would like to get into wood burning. She is an artist and would like to do a combo of painting and wood burning. Any suggestions on a GOOD starter set. Something of decent quality she can try but not break the bank in case she doesn’t like to do burning.

Also, anyone have a used set they want to sell?

This might look a little strange but burning can be done a lot of ways and keeping an electric pointer is not the only way to go if you are just getting started. Below you'll see a bear carved on the end of a maple tomahawk. The bear needed fur. I took a hand full of large nails and glued them to crude wood handles. To get the burn in or fur I simply put the nail tips in the propane torch till orange and burned in the fur. Some die and a little oil and you have a Seneca Indian tomahawk. You get the idea.

bn51.JPG

DSC08253.JPG

DSC082521.JPG

oiled_9_1.JPG

Sam Knight

Sam Knight
Sam
Corporate Member
My wife and I also wanted to try some woodburning. She wants to do crafts (drawing and writing) as I will probably try to use it to sign the turnings I make. While we were at The Klingspor Extravaganza in Hickory this past weekend, we picked up the Colwood Cub kit that came with a handpiece, 4 different tips, and a tip puller. It comes with a 2 year warranty and was recommended by Michelle Parsons and Michael Matthews. Seems like a great starter kit. Here's the link. http://www.woodworkingshop.com/product/ce90001/

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I know where there is an etch master (single port) this is a Leisure time products unit. there are no pens or tips, but razortip brand makes a converter from the 1/4 stereo to their RCA plug. Then you can buy pens, tips etc...

I think I can get it for $50 - $60 (they normally cost $129)
Etch_master_1.jpg

You should defer to Michael Matthews or Brian (or anyone else besides me) to determine if this is a "deal" or just a headache to "assemble" all the pieces...
Talk to the experts, if you are interested in me checking this out to see what kind of deal I can get on it, let me know...

I have one, but I have not used it, I asked Michael for a lesson and we just have to be 1. in the same state and 2. find some time!

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
Michael is definitely a master at wood burning....Im sure he can help you out

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I'll second both Michael and Michelle as the local experts. My wife took a class from Michelle a few years ago. Last year we picked up a starter package that Michelle was selling at the Klingspor Extravaganza. It was a complete kit that is sold by Klingspor. As Scott mentioned, you can probably find details on her web site of the kits she recommends. She was there this year also doing demos and selling books and kits.

She often holds classes at the Klingspor Stores - you can probably get a schedule from their website.

We are also trying to organize a workshop to be taught by Michael Mathews. It is obvious that there is interest in this.

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
Jim,
First I have to thank all those that mentioned my burnings. I really enjoy doing these. Also as several mentioned, the Colwood Cub "Mega" kit is assembled by Klingspor. This is the kit that I currently use and it's well worth the money for a starter set. The unit heats up quickly (seconds) and the tips are very easy to change with the included tip puller. I've had my set for about 3 to 4 years now with no issues at all. One thing I can say to make your or your wife's burning experience much better is to sand your wood to at least 320 with a ROS. I usually sand up to 600! The smoother your wood is, the easier the tip will glide across the wood. Also, with a new set, you want to feel the contact points of every tip for burrs and sharp spots. If there is a burr, it'll have a tendency to want to catch the wood. On really bad burrs, I'll sand with a 400 grit wet or dry then strop every tip very well. The shinier they are on the contact surface, the easier they glide across the wood. I will burn on anything, but Basswood is by far the best! DO your research before you burn on everything! Some woods, like walnut, will put off toxic fumes. I have a small 4" desk fan that I setup to blow away from me to carry any smoke and fumes away. Another great tip is to READ some starter books so you/she doesn't get discouraged. If you ever get up to Chapel Hill, I'd be glad to sit down and give you both some instruction. Good luck and have fun!

NCJim

Jim
User
Thanks to all of you for the wood burning advice. I even learned a new word…pyrography. Well here are the net results:
Ordered a starter book
Going to Klingspor today after church.
Buying a Cotwood Club Mega Kit.
My wife is taking a Michele Parsons class as soon she can.
And driving over to Michael Mathews house (just kidding about this part, but thanks Michael for the invite and advice).
See I always listen to you guy’s.

Jim
Tega Cay, South Carolina

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS