Wood Available in Durham, NC

Status
Not open for further replies.

DurhamWoods

New User
Thom
To all,
This is my first post. I used to be a regular at the NC Crafts Center at NCSU in the wood shop and the photography lab. This week I found out that the city is removing many 100+ years old trees on West Markham from North Mangum to Washington Street to make way for...a sidewalk.

It is my belief that the power company is helping this along because it is the same side of the street as their poles. It's easier for them to manage their line by completely removing them instead of yearly trimming or burying the cables.

But the misfortune of not having these elder trees in the neighborhood does not mean these trees are cut down and completely wasted. This following quote is from a neighbor along this street (from the local listserve):

The tree-cutting guy was happy to leave those logs in my front yard, just the size I wanted. In addition, he cut a nice stack into firewood lengths (b/c he misunderstood that I wanted bigger lengths and I was out of town). He told me that he has to take the wood to the landfill if no one asks for it. I had a huge log down by my car and I gave that to a fellow who came by and asked for it; the tree cutter brought his loader back down here and put the log in the fellow's trailer. He seems quite accommodating, but I don't imagine he would cut wood into fireplace lengths unless he was cutting a tree in your yard.

So as far as I know, this wood ends up in the land fill or firewood. Theses trees have magnificent grain and would provide many burls with all the crotches that had been grown in response to all the cutbacks and trimmings. I will try to post pictures and get contact information as soon as I can. Right now, I'd suggest either calling the city of Durham's Urban Forestry (http://www.ci.durham.nc.us/departments/general/forestry.cfm) or drive up and make friends with the residents.

Thank you for your time.

MikeH

New User
Mike
I would LOVE to have some of that wood, but I'm a little far away. I look forward to seeing pics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS