Wood and Finish for Outdoor furniture

Status
Not open for further replies.

cpowell

Chuck
Senior User
A co-worker has worked out his patterns for Adirondack chairs and asked me what type wood and finish to use.

I don't have experience with outdoor stuff...was thinking white oak or cypress?? Finish = I don't know.

What do you think?

Also, he lives in Raleigh but doesn't have jointer/planer so would need S2S. Where can he find the stock?

Do any of our NCWWer suppliers have S2S stuff on hand?

Thanks,

Chuck

nelsone

New User
Ed
Either choice would be good. Any finish you put on it will eventually break down. May be better to oil and let them go silver.

bobby g

Bob
Corporate Member
Check with Scott Smith on the availability of S2S white oak. (scsmith42).

Bob

Last edited:

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
A co-worker has worked out his patterns for Adirondack chairs and asked me what type wood and finish to use.

I don't have experience with outdoor stuff...was thinking white oak or cypress?? Finish = I don't know.

What do you think?

Also, he lives in Raleigh but doesn't have jointer/planer so would need S2S. Where can he find the stock?

Do any of our NCWWer suppliers have S2S stuff on hand?

Thanks,

Chuck

Chuck, my suggestions would be white oak, cypress, or ERC. I have ERC in stock (5/4 x 4-1/2" - 5" wide boards, and WO in the kiln (due out in another week or so).

Unfortunately no cypress in stock. I can S2S if desired.

Thanks and regards,

Scott

ps - Bob, thanks for the referral!

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Scott's deal sounds pretty good. :thumbs_up:thumbs_up

I used 10 year old cypress for a bench that I made. It has been outside (uncovered) for about 6 months now and still looks the same as it did the day I finished it. I would've liked to have used Marine Spar Varnish for the finish, but I just went with 3 or 4 coats of Cabot (?) from Lowes. It's held up just fine. As mentioned earlier, whatever finish you use will eventually break down, but this one has held up pretty well so far. :icon_thum

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
I have made Adi pieces from ERC and cypress and I have made a folding chair of WO and replaced some bench slats with WO. The cypress was the easiest to work with by far, but dings the easiest. The WO is very durable. For a natural finish, I like cedar but unless you really stay on top of maintenance, they will all look the same in two summers. Marine varnish is the most durable finish, but looks the worst if you don't maintain it. I finished the WO bench slats in varnish and they were beautiful for a year, then yellowed, cracked and peeled. It won't do that if you maintain it better. I prefer a "deck oil" (not the paraffin stuff, a real oil).

bluthart

New User
Brian
I have had success with cypress, white oak, and especially brazilian cherry. McClosky's Man-O-War spar varnish holds up pretty well and doesn't amber the wood too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS