Wonky counter top

Status
Not open for further replies.

The A Train

New User
Adam
So my wife wanted me to build her a stove top cover. It basically creates an elevated countertop over the stove to add some counter space. I edge glued some of what i believe is fir using some biscuits. After sanding the seams i noticed its not perfectly flat. Its about 1/4” off on one corner.

I am planning on making a 1” standoff in the shape of a rectangle to elevate it over the stove. My theory is if i go ahead and continue assembly, the whole piece will be wobbly. And the top is too wide for the planer.

This wood was my grandfathers and i would love to salvage the project if possible. Does anyone have any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

bash

New User
bash
When you say 1/4" off in one corner, is it because an edge board is warped, or did you go overboard sanding at that corner when evening seams, or other? If one face is flat, I would make the off corner a back bottom corner and custom fit the standoff to make it level. Not sure this helps as not sure what your panel currently looks like.

The A Train

New User
Adam
I believe it may be from clamping. I clamped in opposing directions but i guess not well enough. Overall dimensions are 34” 20” 3/4”

c21ff66a4f03d5058678d1e1bb1df3b4.jpg

7dcf12de2276cd87cfdb20965c8a26ac.jpg

849ea8db8ac6162b4cad3026b07cf543.jpg

The A Train

New User
Adam
I guess this is more common of an issue with thinner stock. Using regular 2-by stock may not have this much of an issue. This was my first edge glue and biscuit joint by the way

bash

New User
bash
Could you fix it by cutting the last two boards off through the glue joint and re-glue? It would cost you a bit of width, but for this application probably not critical. If you do, trim all edges that will see glue again (4 total) by ripping on the table saw, turning the middle board upside down when ripping it's 2 edges. Or if you have a jointer … Then if needed attach cross pieces on bottom to help pull level (perhaps light angle).

Or do what Mike said.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Those two end pieces that are plain sawn may have contributed to the warping. Always look at the grain and try to get all quarter sawn, failing that then alternate the plain and quartered.

The A Train

New User
Adam
So bash if i understand correctly, i should rip the last two off on the glue joint and rebiscuit it back?

bash

New User
bash
If you think cutting them off will let them lay flat again, yes. After that, rip the 4 edges that will glue together one more time. Make sure your middle board is upside down during this process ensuring supplemental angles at your glue joints just in case your saw blade is slightly off 90 degrees.

If you do not think the boards will lay flat after being ripped off, my suggestion will not help you. It just looks from your pictures that the angle on one of your boards at joint 3-4 'might' not be 90 degrees contributing to the raised corner.

Others may have better input.

shawn

New User
shawn
It's possible one or more of your boards are twisted slightly. You may have to rip them apart, set them one a flat surface, i.e. table saw top, and check for any teetering. Pass the offending board/boards over jointer to flatten then through planer to get parallel faces, re-square the edges and glue. Otherwise, what Bash said. Making custom legs easiest solution.

I always check for twist, no matter how little, and face plane. In fact, I'll face plane regardless.

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
I'm with Shawn on this one. I think you need to cut it apart and create a flat face and a square edge to reference from. Power tools or hand tools the same rules for flat, square, and co-planner apply. I like your idea for adding a work surface in your kitchen. I just think you may have jumped ahead of yourself and didn't prepare your materials properly for that glue up. Of course I'm looking at pictures and can't see everything but what I am seeing is twist, which means there is twist in several if not all those pieces. With that said, not all is lost, the piece is salvageable you just need to back up and start again.

The A Train

New User
Adam
I made all cuts using a table saw, so i had a fairly good 90 degree edge to glue to. I think i may have clamped a little too tight and it twisted or bowed a little. I have a local shop that has a large planner. Do you think that would be the easiest solution?

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
If the shop you're going to has a plane bed that will support that piece like it is now, then you will be ok. If not then the rollers will press it down flat and take off a little wood and it will still be twisted when it comes out the other side.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
I am planning on making a 1” standoff in the shape of a rectangle to elevate it over the stove. My theory is if i go ahead and continue assembly, the whole piece will be wobbly. And the top is too wide for the planer.

Are pics #1 and 3 of your panel laying over the top of the stove? Is it wobbly as it sits now on that surface? Why don't you simply make the standoff frame as planned and add 1/4" shims to the wonky corner and be done with it? You're overthinking this project so relax, it's just a little added surface area as a counter top.

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
So my wife wanted me to build her a stove top cover. It basically creates an elevated countertop over the stove to add some counter space. I edge glued some of what i believe is fir using some biscuits. After sanding the seams i noticed its not perfectly flat. Its about 1/4” off on one corner.

This wood was my grandfathers and i would love to salvage the project if possible. Does anyone have any ideas?

I hate to be a kiljoy here, but this sounds like a terrible idea from a safety/ fire standpoint.

The A Train

New User
Adam
Well i sent it through an industrial sander and got alot of it out. I believe what little may be left i can shim with different felt pads. Thanks for the help guys. Ill post some updates

The A Train

New User
Adam
I see the fire concerns. This wont be an everyday cover by any means. It will be brought out for family get togethers and other small parties where the stove wont be on. Just for more counterspace for other pots etc

Jeff

New User
Jeff
That looks much better, but it's still a fire hazard even for occasional use.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS