Wolverine Vari-Grind Jig Help - Long

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimwill48

James
I just recieved my Vari-Grind and have a couple of questions I hope you all can answer.

In the instructions on grinding a bowl gouge, Oneway says to set the Vari-grind leg angle to the down position (close to the front, end facing grinder wheel). I did that and using a cheap 3/8" BBest bowl gouge got a good fingernail grind but the edges seem's awful long...quess my question is what is the angle for the leg should I use? Also how do you measure the leg angle? I have tried protractors, ect and because of the way the jig is made can't really get a good measuerment. Has anyone figuered out the angle of each of the notchs for the leg? It would sure be a lot easier if Oneway would stamp the degree marks next to the notchs on the Vari-grind jig.

Also tried it on a spindle gouge, quessed the leg angle to be around 35 to 40 degree, well the 1st attempt made a huge sweep on the side wings about 1 inch. How do you set this dang thing for spindle gouges. 8-O I just kind of quessed on a second attemp on the leg angle and it came out a little shorter on the side grind and it cuts pretty good...

Don't get me wrong its a great tool but not that well documented...I have the printed instructions..watched the videos on the Oneway site...but they all seem, well just not clear...at least to me or maybe I'm just thick headed...Hope you all can kind of understand all this not sure if I'm being clear....any help anyone can give me I would sure would be grateful...hate to keep grinding away that expensive metal..

Thanks

James

DavidF

New User
David
I just recieved my Vari-Grind and have a couple of questions I hope you all can answer.

In the instructions on grinding a bowl gouge, Oneway says to set the Vari-grind leg angle to the down position (close to the front, end facing grinder wheel). I did that and using a cheap 3/8" BBest bowl gouge got a good fingernail grind but the edges seem's awful long...quess my question is what is the angle for the leg should I use? Also how do you measure the leg angle? I have tried protractors, ect and because of the way the jig is made can't really get a good measuerment. Has anyone figuered out the angle of each of the notchs for the leg? It would sure be a lot easier if Oneway would stamp the degree marks next to the notchs on the Vari-grind jig.

Also tried it on a spindle gouge, quessed the leg angle to be around 35 to 40 degree, well the 1st attempt made a huge sweep on the side wings about 1 inch. How do you set this dang thing for spindle gouges. 8-O I just kind of quessed on a second attemp on the leg angle and it came out a little shorter on the side grind and it cuts pretty good...

Don't get me wrong its a great tool but not that well documented...I have the printed instructions..watched the videos on the Oneway site...but they all seem, well just not clear...at least to me or maybe I'm just thick headed...Hope you all can kind of understand all this not sure if I'm being clear....any help anyone can give me I would sure would be grateful...hate to keep grinding away that expensive metal..

Thanks

James

I am also new to the vari grind and it is confusing. I followed the video rather than the printed instructions and that worked well for me. I seem to remember that for the "elsworth" grind on the bowl gouge the vari grind arm was about 1/2 way and then the support arm was adjusted to get a 30 deg bevel on the front. I found that taking the video advise and grinding the bevel and the top of the wings first using the flat support made life a whole lot easier as you have something to aim for. I marked a point about 5/8" back from the front and then ground the top of the gouge away to form a right angle with the 30 deg front bevel. I haven't done a side grind on the spindle gouge yet, but the arm goes all the way forward I think on the video.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
James, here is how I set mine up. It might be right or wrong, but gives me good results and a grind that works very well.

Here is the setting on the jig...a pic is easier than an explanation -

Vari-grind_jig_setting.jpg

The gouge should project 1¾" from the front of the jig, use a drilled block of scrap for setting that.
The V-arm is set at 4" out from the base, that is between the base and the actual V rest (only the square tube part is 4"). I use the same setting except I pull the V-arm out about another ¾ - 1" for a truer Ellsworth style grind.
Whatever setting you use, record it so it will become repeatable, and you won't be wasting your gouge on the grinder wheel.
HTH,
Dave:)

jimwill48

James
Well Everyone,
With your help and a pdf from Thomsons website I finally got this thing down. Dave your setting on the Vari-Grind is right on (on the thompson website there is a pdf that when printed gives you the proper leg setting, which is the same as the photo that Dave posted) I then set the nose angle for my spindle gouges at 40 degree and bowl gouges at 60 degree and all is right with the world and the grinds are perfect if I watch what I'm doing:eusa_danc ( but watch that darn grinding wheel to, I can now write the book on what happens if you are watching the gouge and not where your pinkie is):tinysmile_angry2_t:

ANY WAY THANKS ALL.......:eusa_clap

James

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I am very happy that you got it set right. A well sharpened gouge with the right grind makes turning soo much more fun.
Dave:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS