Winged bowl

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidF

New User
David
A little something I was playing with over the weekend. It's a winged bowl, in hard maple with a bloodwood lid. The small disk on the top is box elder.

A very economical way to turn a bowl as the initial blank was only 7 1/2" x 2 1/2" x 1 1/4".

Finish is Claphams Bees wax and oil mix.

Thanks for looking.

IMG_1003.JPG

IMG_10041.JPG

IMG_1005.JPG

IMG_1008.JPG

Sorry about the last picture being so dark!

Glennbear

Glenn
Beautiful work David but for a novice turner like me the idea of the winged portion whirring around on the chuck is a tad intimidating. :gar-La;

DavidF

New User
David
Beautiful work David but for a novice turner like me the idea of the winged portion whirring around on the chuck is a tad intimidating. :gar-La;

It does focus the mind for sure!!! Turning the underside is a bit weird, it's like turning via Xray! you sort of look through the bowl to shape the curve...

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
David...that is STUNNING! I really like the dark background (counter top?) you used for the photos! Calender material for sure!

I truly hope you will stay an active member of this site when you skip across the pond.

DavidF

New User
David
David...that is STUNNING! I really like the dark background (counter top?) you used for the photos! Calender material for sure!

I truly hope you will stay an active member of this site when you skip across the pond.

Thanks, yes, black granite counter top, with OH halogen. Seems to work quite well for my turning pics. Just got to make sure I don't catch the washing up in the background!!

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Re: Winged bowl - Sanding?

David: Beautiful work and great clear pictures. I love the maple/bloodwood combination.

I tried my hand at a winged bowl (no pics yet) and agree that turning the underside is uncanny - seeing the profile through the gaps is just weird.

Sanding these open pieces (on the lathe. with power) is quite a bit more difficult than with fully round pieces. How did you sand this piece?

Henry

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
That is really beautiful, David:icon_thum.

You are quite talented and have a great eye for the unusual.:notworthy:

DavidF

New User
David
Re: Winged bowl - Sanding?

David: Beautiful work and great clear pictures. I love the maple/bloodwood combination.

I tried my hand at a winged bowl (no pics yet) and agree that turning the underside is uncanny - seeing the profile through the gaps is just weird.

Sanding these open pieces (on the lathe. with power) is quite a bit more difficult than with fully round pieces. How did you sand this piece?

Henry

Thanks Henry,

I tried power sanding with the lathe running and within seconds caught the edge of the disk on the wings and the sponge got shredded! I was using a 3" dia disk, a larger one might have not caught quite so easily. After that I sanded with a soft pad in the sander, with the lathe stopped and then did the rest by hand, again, with the lathe stopped for the wings and running for the bowl part.

DavidF

New User
David
I've got some more ideas for shapes using this approach, so should be interesting. Having sold everything else for flat work, turning is going to be the main focus until the lathe has to go as well!!

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
That is really nice. Great form and I especially like the finish. Smooth with just the right amount of sheen. :icon_thum

pete

flyrod444

New User
Jack
David, your winged bowl looks great!!! The thickness on the wings look to be as close to perfect as one could get and the different color woods look great as well.
Jack

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors