Wine cabinet commission

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
Gluing up the doors

Use space balls two on each rail and two on each stile. Allow 5/32” clearance each side for the space balls.
BBF689B7-21C2-4A75-A93C-BFC3D5275E08.jpeg

Do a dry fit to position the panel where it needs to be.

3CE058A5-A1C0-4BCD-AB49-D2E0144AD3C4.jpeg

I use Titebond III as it gives a bit more open time, the Damstrom clamps keep everything flat and square, a mallet to tap the rails exactly into place before final clamp pressure and a 23 gauge pin nailer with 1/2” nails to pin once clamped. No waiting time, onto the next right away.

FCECF1FE-F8E9-42ED-8732-31F0C05DABAF.jpeg

Skymaster

New User
Jack
Ok I will trust you on your balls condition without verification :}:}:}:}:} I recently acquired that mortiser at a very reasonable price :}:} never owner or used a mortiser but I guess I am gonna. Last time i tried the spaceballs they bled thru the wood, small dots on the reverse side,not good

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
Ok I will trust you on your balls condition without verification :}:}:}:}:} I recently acquired that mortiser at a very reasonable price :}:} never owner or used a mortiser but I guess I am gonna. Last time i tried the spaceballs they bled thru the wood, small dots on the reverse side,not good
My balls are Rockler, purchased a 1,000 many moons ago. They have no residue, just firm rubber. I have done up to 3/4” with that little mortising machine, but normally 3/8”. It is a bit of a pain to set up, but does the job.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Willem, great writeup. Thanks. Could you tell me the make and model of the shaper cutters you are using for the stiles and rails. My Amana cutters have a similar profile but the tenon is not as long so the joint is not as strong

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
Willem, great writeup. Thanks. Could you tell me the make and model of the shaper cutters you are using for the stiles and rails. My Amana cutters have a similar profile but the tenon is not as long so the joint is not as strong

Freeborntool.com

I use 1/2” tenon and groove, instead of the standard 3/8”, but they have up to 5/8”

Unfortunately they are expensive, about twice the price of Amana and you have to work through a dealer. I normally go through Routerbitworld.

The quality is superior though.

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
Freeborntool.com

I use 1/2” tenon and groove, instead of the standard 3/8”, but they have up to 5/8”

Unfortunately they are expensive, about twice the price of Amana and you have to work through a dealer. I normally go through Routerbitworld.

The quality is superior though.
Phil,
While I agree Freeborn are wonderful cutters, if youre looking to stile and rail cutters, you may want to invest in one of these sets, I have this and it cuts flawlessly and so may different profile choices.

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
Phil,
While I agree Freeborn are wonderful cutters, if youre looking to stile and rail cutters, you may want to invest in one of these sets, I have this and it cuts flawlessly and so may different profile choices.

Looks like a good deal. Are those 3/8”?

I do either Shaker or Ogee, with the same Freeborn set, have two other Amana profiles which I have never used.

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
After assembly, the Stiles and Rails get a light sand with the RO, 180 grit and then 240 grit.

About RO’s this Bosch has done well for me, it removes a lot of material fast in aggressive mode, in fine mode great for removing grit scratches.

My experience with RO’s anything und$250 is a throw away tool unless one has a whole lot of time so sand. Also, Klingsor’s blue discs seem to beat anything else out there.

6C03A3B1-DCC3-41C2-8B2A-A740F15D3183.jpeg

After sanding, the decorative panels are ready to spray finish.

The doors need drilling for hinges.

I use Blum’s excel worksheet to figure the parts and bore distance. I am using a Blumotion Clip Top hinge 110+ and an angled mounting plate as per the sheet. Bore distance is 7mm from edge 35mm diameter 13mm deep.

4B46BCC7-3384-44DB-A4E4-EF9E7E8A924F.jpeg

Another throw away tool is Kreg’s hing boring jig. I used it once and that was once too many. The amount of play in the drill guide and the flex in the plastic can put one out up to 2 1/2mm, not good for a very small gap needed between double doors.
417A7AAD-9C07-425C-9BAE-0A4532C7F0D6.jpeg

We go the long way around, a Starret square, exacto knife and a center punch marks the hole and off to the drill press. Standard is normally 3 1/2” (90mm) from top and bottom and for the chosen hinges the center 24.5mm from side edge.

45C36CEC-6024-4D00-AFB3-309F35C0E7B4.jpeg

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
The last step is rounding the edges of the doors and drawer fronts with a Palm router and a 1/8” rounding bit. Spray and stain work will follow and the we are ready for 90% assembly.
75477A8B-ADB6-40BC-B772-DFD1F8F57CDA.jpeg

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
The doors need drilling for hinges.
We go the long way around, a Starret square, exacto knife and a center punch marks the hole and off to the drill press. Standard is normally 3 1/2” (90mm) from top and bottom and for the chosen hinges the center 24.5mm from side edge.

I tend to make mistakes with repeated measurements so here is a cup hinge fixture that I made years ago with the intent of making a nicer one (which never happened). Repeatability is well within the hinge adjustment limits.
image.jpeg

Skymaster

New User
Jack
Felt same way until i bought one,used it,fantastic. Note also changed over to press in hinges, greatest thing since sliced bread. If you are using screw on, doubt price is much different, however drill 3 holes in a minute or less, tap hinges in, then when finishing just unscrew them from the knock in nylon plugs, finish right over them. When the finishing is over just screw them back on. its 4" from edge of jig to center of 25mm hole from either end; so If 1/2" overlay then i made a jig that will reference the inside edge of face frame and marks at 3 1/2", door flush to each end, IF you want a third hinge, just mark cl, jig has cl mark. One other great feature is it is portable, no need to take anything to a drill press. I just make a pile on my bench and drill em all there. If you want holler will bring it down so you can try it out, or we meet half way cordless drill travels fairly well LOL LOL

Last edited:

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
Between four kitchens, a bunch of floating shelves and and a closet, this commission got on the back burner a bit. I also ran out of time to post more build pictures.

But here is the final product after installation in the customer’s home. It misses some wine glasses in the top which enhances the look a little more.

8CC342F9-1450-4C77-995E-F241D61EE1AB.jpeg
5895BBF8-3CBA-41DD-9683-E03D5DE5FBF0.jpeg

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS