Wine box

Status
Not open for further replies.

rywilson

New User
Ryan
When my mother came to visit a while ago she brought some wood from her farm (she also brought something from the dark side. Another post coming)

I used some of the maple and walnut to make this wine gift box. After experimenting with a couple different finishes I took the advice of SteveColes and used BLO with a couple coats of wipe on poly.

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
Nice handiwork, Ryan. The handle shape gives it a hint of Oriental flavor. Wine made from buffalo grass, perhaps?

T

toolferone

Looks great! Do you have anything to keep the lid latched so it does not slide when you are caring the box? I really like the handle. Are those Miller dowels on the end?

rywilson

New User
Ryan
Toolforone the lid is snug enough where it wont slide when the box it tilted.
It takes a little pressure to slide it.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Toolforone the lid is snug enough where it wont slide when the box it tilted.
It takes a little pressure to slide it.

I would still put a latch on it, you don't want somebody to pick it up with a bottle of wine in it and the whole thing come crashing down on the floor.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Looks great Ryan! The only concern I'd have with BLO is that it takes FOREVER for the smell to dissipate. You may want to put it outside for a few days, the current heat will sweat anything out of anything :)

For extra rustic charm, put in a bottle of wine, then cover with cedar shavings :)

Love the design, and the dowels give it that touch of class.

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
I like the box. The contrast in the wood is beautiful and it finished nice. Great work

rywilson

New User
Ryan
I would still put a latch on it, you don't want somebody to pick it up with a bottle of wine in it and the whole thing come crashing down on the floor.

Mike the handle is decorative and not meant to hold the weight of the box + wine. I would be more worried about the handle breaking off then the top sliding out.

Love the design, and the dowels give it that touch of class.

Would you think less of me if I said the design was from Wood mag :gar-Bi

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Great looking box, Ryan!:wsmile::wsmile: The curved end and dowels really adds class.

I am sure that it will be appreciated, very much.

Good work!

Wayne

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Would you think less of me if I said the design was from Wood mag
Ryan, there is no way I can possibly think any less of you than I already do. So, no. :gar-La;

Still love the design, no matter where it came from!

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Mike the handle is decorative and not meant to hold the weight of the box + wine. I would be more worried about the handle breaking off then the top sliding out.

In that case I would make a new top without the handle.

As sure as you put a bottle of wine in it somebody will pick it up by the handle. No matter how many times you warn them it will happen and they will blame you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS