Windsor Meets Thonet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Richards

Dave
Senior User

The short version of this chair/stool is based on one from a photo sent to me by a woodworker in Peru. He was asking for help in drawing the hoop and placing the spindles SketchUp so I did a tutorial on it for him. Anyway, I was thinking it's kind of an interesting project. The hoop could be made ala Thonet and Windsor chair building techniques would apply to placing the spindles. The back on the original chair and on my examples aren't very high but it would be easy enough to make the back higher. Might switch from a circular hoop to a more elliptical one. The one in the photo didn't have any stretchers between the legs but they seemed like a good idea to me. The seat could do with a bit of a butt scoop, too.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
"Butt scoop?"
Is that a word?

I think the stretchers look thin...
Maybe more on the order of the cigar-shaped spindles?

SubGuy

Administrator
Zach
:rotflm:Butt Scoop! I have know idea if what it's actually called. Nor do I think it matters if you can make it comfy on the booty.

On another note, the boss really likes the design, too bad she already has a long list of "like's" and it will probably never make the "Like, Now Do!" List.

Dave Richards

Dave
Senior User
"Butt scoop" is the technical term for it. :D

I don't know. I suppose there is some other, more proper name for it. Maybe derriere divot?

Yes, the stretchers are kind of thin. I just stuck them in quickly. They are actually the same diameter as the back rest spindles. I just used the center spindle and stretched it to make it fit between the legs. ;)

I was thinking for the tall stool another hoop at an angle, wrapped around the legs at an angle--low in the front--could be kind of cool.

Subguy, I hope she doesn't start rearranging your "Like, Now do!" list.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Very interesting design, Dave. I like the idea of an elliptical hoop rather than round. Lower it a bit in the front so it doesn't put pressure on the back of the legs, causing numbness.

zapdafish

New User
Steve
I really like that design. I'd be worried the support bar in the front would break tho if someone puts their feet on it to lever them selves into the seat

Dave Richards

Dave
Senior User
The stretchers were just stuck in quickly. I would certainly make them thicker in reality. The original short chair doesn't have stretchers at all.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
So Coleman I need a "Butt Scoop" tool - No really there must be one - I saw it on NCWW

(I just gotta ask the next time I am in Klingspore!):rotflm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS