window trim question

Status
Not open for further replies.

zapdafish

New User
Steve
I would like to do some craftsman trim around alot of my windows. I have looked at videos and browsed alot of books and they all seem to start with the window frame exposed as a starting point.

Below is a pic of one of my windows. I can tell the sill and sides are plastic but based on my stud finder, they are surounded by about 4 inches of something solid all the way around the window.

window_casing.jpg

View image in gallery

If I am going to do some trim, do I have to expose the studs or wood beams and start from there or can I just build onto this and glue/nail right through this sheathing. I plan on probably using poplar and painting them white.

Should I frame the interior sides and top of the window? or just frame the window with the trim.

Thnx...Steve

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
I put craftsman trim in my old house. From what I can see, the walls are flat/devoid of trim. I would put it in flush with the edge. Go for it.

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
I had the same problem in my shop with white vinyl windows and frames. I did an A&C treatment anyway. The white vinyl still conflicts with the A&C look but I lined the inside surfaces of the sides and top of the opening with 1/4" thin x 3" wide pieces of oak. Where there is a sill it is 3/4". I applied the casing with a 3/16" reveal to cover the back edges of the 1/4" boards. Since the sill was a perfect height, I extended the benchtop right to the window frame there. Sorry, it is hard to see detail in these photos. Let me know if you need closeups. There are other photos of my A&C trim in my gallery.

Trim-5.JPG

Trim-6.JPG

Maybe this will help. Depending on the look you are going for, you can put 1/4" trim where the sill goes or actually install a 3/4" or thicker sill with long ears that extend L & R beyond the recess and casing and that are proud of the casing and the apron, like in my second pic above.

window_casing1.jpg

zapdafish

New User
Steve
Thanks! This is sorta what I was thinking. The lower sill will definitely be 3/4"

Close ups of your second window would be helpful. I didn't realize you had 43 pages of images. Lotta great shots of your shop in there.

Maybe this will help. Depending on the look you are going for, you can put 1/4" trim where the sill goes or actually install a 3/4" or thicker sill with long ears that extend L & R beyond the recess and casing and that are proud of the casing and the apron, like in my second pic above.

window_casing1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS