Window Stool molding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Murphy

New User
Fern HollowMan
I'm trimming out the windows in the shop and of course it's my first time and I don't know what I'm doing. I'm obviously going to have to mill something to make the 3 1/4" window stool molding work, but why is there a beveled rabbet at the back? Not so much the rabbet, but why the bevel. Well, while I'm asking, why the rebate (little Aussi talk there).

Trim carpenters and those who have walked this path before, I seek your wise counsel.

Thanks,

Jim

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
That angled recess in the back on the bottom fits the slope of the window sill so the stool trim will set level on top. Clear?

Jerry

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
standard window sills are angled outward for water runoff. the angled rabit is so the stool sits level. if your windows are flat on the bottom you can re rout the rabit to square. the rabit allows the stool to sit down a little so you can you can use the pulls built into the bottom of the sash to raise the window. you notch the ends of the stool to allow the rabit to sit on the window bottom. usualy pin nail or small finish nails wil be used through the rabit to hold the stool in place. i usualy cut my stools 10" longer than the distance between the frame. then the stool is notched on the ends 5" x however deep i need to get within an 1/8" of the sash. casing sits on top of the stool. 5" is assuming 3 1/4" casing. hope this helps.

fred

Jim Murphy

New User
Fern HollowMan
What a resource you guys and girls are. Maybe one day I can help instead of always asking.

My windows are flat, the angle makes sense for the slope. They are also skinny windows set in 2x4 stud to be flush with the outside, so when I cheaped out and bought 3.25" instead of 5.25" width molding, I need to make something to fill in the space. Maybe some black walnut would look nice (that's a joke, I have poplar.)

Thanks again.

Jim

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
on those style windows we usualy just make a box and case it on all 4 sides and slide it in the hole place some shims behind and nail it. no stool needed. easier and cheaper but IMO doesnt look as good as traditional way. BTW i am in franklin county. its easier to show than tell!

fred

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS