window ac unit with no window

Status
Not open for further replies.

zapdafish

Steve
Corporate Member
Well, my parents can give me a window ac unit if I want it. Only problem is my garage has no windows.

Its a two car garage but luckily it has two garage doors rather than one big one. is it worth trying to setup an exhaust system to blow it out the bottom and cover the rest?

it's a segmented door so even cracked open to vent anything, will open up a bunch of places for hot air to enter.

I think the ac unit would need to be as high as possible as well? cold air falling, hot air rising etc. otherwise i'd have comfortable feet and the rest of me would be sweating?

think its doable?

other option is to vent the hot air into the house while Im in the garage, hehe

thanks...Steve

James Davis

New User
James Davis
Frame a hole in the wall that the AC unit will fit into. Not a complicated project and well worth the effort. You will need to put a header across the top of the opening but that is not hard either.

Good luck on the cooling of the shop,
James

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
I got one of the portable units that vents through dryer hose for exactly the same reason (covenants). Bought it used and it wasn't very much. I would consider seliing the window unit with the express purpose of establishing a fund to buy a portable.

Dudelive

New User
Dude
If it is large enough to cool the garage then I would check to see if I would be allowed to install it in the wall.

Could be installed at the top of the wall close to the ceiling and would be out of the way and easier to frame.

It would be worth checking ....if not as stated the portable AC units would be the better choice.
Although they do make a package AC unit for garages that has everything needed for operation except cutting the hole. The compressor sits outside and the AC unit goes inside like a normal system except there are no ducts.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
I had a nearly new window unit I didn't need when we bought this place--so--I cut hole in the shop wall and framed it in, put the ac unit in and it worked ok, just a little small for my shop, but then the problem. If I was doing any sanding on anything, or router table work, etc. the filter plugged up within minutes. I go over and remove the filter, clean it and reinstall it, and 10 minutes later it would be plugged again. Use a couple of fans mostly and I'm happy. An outside unit would be far better. Had a portable one from Sam's Club, but it wasn't large enough to help much in my shop. I sold it to a neighbor who uses it in a basement shop. I have a dc but haven't set it up yet. That might help with the filter problem.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
Bruce,

You really need to look into getting a good DC. I just use a shop vac and small air cleaner and I rarely have to clean the filter in the A/C, no more than I would if I used it in a regular interior room (actually since the cats don't come out to the garage, it probably stays clean longer :) ). If you can clog an A/C filter across the room in a few minutes, think about what must be getting in to your lungs.

NCGrimbo

NCGrimbo
Corporate Member
I've got an AC unit installed in the wall of my 2 car-less garage shop and it works fairly well considering that 2 1/2 walls are not insualted and the door isn't either. I've got it set to turn on at 74 degrees when I'm not in there to try to normalizes the humidity changes, but I drop it down to turn on at 64 about 30 minutes before I head into the shop. With the unit set on 64, the garage tensd to be about 76 to 78 degrees when the temp is over 80 outside. On one of the hotest days of the year last year, it almost got up to 80 degrees in the shop. I wonder how cold it would be if I actually insulated those walls.

Anyway, Get the unit from your parents, cut a hole in the side of your garage and turn that baby on. You won't regret it.

MichaelCurtis

New User
Michael
Anyway, Get the unit from your parents, cut a hole in the side of your garage and turn that baby on. You won't regret it.

I can't begin to explain how much nicer my woodworking experience is since I have a climate controlled shop. Hot or cold, rain or shine, It's always comfortable in my shop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS