Windfall Timber

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
My latest project is a complete reconstruction of the back yard at our house. I'm building a hot tub/spa from scratch and also putting in a stone patio. I was planning to make a cover over the spa from salvaged joists when I rebuild our deck, but the recent windstorm dropped a massive red oak on my property. The main trunk yielded 2-12'6" saw logs 24" in diameter and 1-14'6" log 28" in diameter. I thought hmmmmm......timber frame?

Steve Keull of Mountain Sawyers (also a member of the Western NC Woodworkers group) was out on Saturday and we milled up all the wood. Steve is in his late 60's and that man worked me under the table. Let me tell you, a 6x6x14' oak beam is not something you throw around. Now all I have to do is build it.

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Man, that is way too cool. Great use of recycled materials! :icon_thum

I can't imagine throwing a 200 lb red oak beam around either! :lol: :lol:

Chuck

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Sounds awesome, I can't wait to see some pictures. I love that type of stuff :eusa_danc :eusa_danc

Dave:)

Monty

New User
Monty
That'll be a great project! Hope that tree didn't fall on something important...

When you get that project done let me know - I will volunteer to come test it for you.

J

jeff...

Smile - It's so nice to see folks using timber, instead of it going to the landfill or left to rot. Great way to treecycle, my hats off to you for doing your part. :icon_thum

BTW - Yep 6x6's are right heavy, but the more you work with green lumber, the lighter it becomes. I think you kinda learn the best ways to pull, flip and lift. I have a lot of respect for sawyers that have been doing it for a long time, there a little more to it than meets the eye, that's for sure.

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
Travis,
The wood is best worked green for timber framing, it would be a long time before the wood would be dry enough to even go in a kiln at that thickness. I do have several "left overs"; including one slab that is 2" x 24" x 14' that has some beautiful quarter sawn rays & flecks. There are several 4/4 offcuts too. Those I will be air drying because it will be more than a year before I'd have an opportunity to use them anyway.

As Jeff said, I have a real appreciation for sawyers who do this work full time. Even with equipment to help, there is a lot of physical work to it. I also have a new appreciation for the old timers that built all of the old buildings with massive posts and beams.

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
That'll be a great project! Hope that tree didn't fall on something important...

When you get that project done let me know - I will volunteer to come test it for you.

Fortunately, the tree fell down into the lower valley. The force took out several large limbs and another good sized tree on the way down.

After all of that heavy lifting of machines at John's place I figured you would be anxious to come help lift some beams and chop some mortises. :lol:

dancam

Dan
Corporate Member
Steve,

Nice haul on the felled trees. I had some logs sawn by Steven and Wes from Mountain sawyers and they did a great job.

Dan C.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS