Win-Win Window Cabinet Build Completed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Over the course of the last month or so I have been working on a small cabinet that is modeled after the cabinet the LOML saw in the Dec/Jan issue of Wood magazine.

http://www.woodstore.net/store/ProductReviews.aspx?ProductID=6261

Our purpose for the cabinet (in the short term) is a TV console so it didn’t need to be quite as large as the Wood Magazine version. (My version is 39"W x 19"D x 31"H versus the Wood version at 51 ¼”W x 24”D x 41”H)
Here are a couple of pictures of the finished cabinet in place.

IMG_00484.JPG

IMG_00465.JPG

IMG_00453.JPG

It was a pretty simple build until it came to building the end panels and doors. (Wood Magazine built theirs around prebuilt window sashes from Menards.) Because of my change in overall dimensions, this dictated that I build my own faux sashes. I ordered the Miniature Rail & Stile cutters for glass doors and mullions - #8848 from MLCS in order to keep the scale smaller for this application.
Well! I had a very hard time with bit setup in the ¾” poplar stock I was working with. After some great support from McRabbet (Rob Payne) and Joe Scharle I was able to finally nail it down. (I set up the coping bit in on router table and the other bit for the long cuts on the rails, stiles and mullions on a second router table.) Before I began routing all of the door and end sash parts, I made, and clearly labelled setup blocks for the future.
When building the doors and end sashes, I opted to substitute Lexan for the glass. (With four grand- daughter’s charging around the house, I just thought it wise.)
I finished it with 2 coats of GF Linen Milk Paint and sprayed 3 coats of GF Satin Performance topcoat.
A few more WIP pics are in my gallery if interested.

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/showgallery.php?cat=2978

And…... To top it all off I had help from my son-in-law’s to get it upstairs!

Thanks for looking!
Wayne

Last edited:

Charlie

Charlie
Corporate Member
Wayne,
That looks nice. Design, color, craftsmanship, color, etc. Looks good in the corner.
You chose two of the best craftsmen for advice!!!!!!!

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
39/31 = 1.26. Take that, Mr. Fibonacci!

I like the proportions, too.

I'm in the middle of a dresser design contrained to 54" wide discovered the Fibonacci ratio while doing that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS