Wife has given the Go Ahead To Pull The Trigger On New Incra LS

Status
Not open for further replies.

dstrbd488

New User
Chris
Ok So as the title says My wonderful wife has given me the go ahead to pull the trigger on a new incra jig for my router table. That being said and I don't mean to sound ugly, I am not really looking for opinions on what I should by instead, but I am looking for opinions on wheter to get the 17 inch system or the 25 inch system. Also should I get the router bit set that is designed to be used with the incra jig or just try and pick up bits as needed and if I get the bit set should I get the whiteside bit set or the feud set? I have heard that the freud set is a bit off size to be used with the incra jig have any of you guys that have them experianced this?

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Can't comment on the Incra but on the bit set. Most sets come with bits you will never use or only use once. A wise fella named Bruce one told me to buy a value priced set and any bit you use more then twice replace with a quality bit. It will save you $$$ in the long run.

M

McRabbet

Chris,

I have a JoinTech Cabinetmaker's fence system that is similar to the Incra LS system. Mine is an 18" unit and I mounted it on a movable platform that I can use to extend it to about 24" if needed. Since the difference in price for the 17 versus 25 inch Incra is only about $20, I would get the longer positioning version if you have a long enough surface on your router table top to take advantage of the extended capacity. My top is 42" wide -- my router plate is centered about 14" from one end and the balance is used to support the fence and it's motion. The longer capacity will allow you to position a wide board (like a blanket chest side) between the fence and router bit to cut dovetails over it's full length. As for the bits, I respectfully disagree with Scott. The templates that are used rely on a set of straight and dovetail bits of certain size that are included in the set. I'd recommend buying them or an equivalent set offered by non-Incra router bit suppliers.

Ken Massingale

New User
Ken
Justin at Woodpecker suggested the 25" over the 17 when I got mine a few years ago. I haven't regretted it at all.
As for the bits, I grabbed the Freud set at Amazon and all that I've used have been fine. As Rob mentioned, unlike typical bit sets, you will use all of the bits, since the templates specify which to use.
I'm certain the Whitesides would be good too, I've never had an issue with their bits.
Congrats, you're gonna have fun with the Incra.

dstrbd488

New User
Chris
I really appreciate the feed back and as usual being able to tap into the resource from everyone on this site is greatly appreciated. I really hope that I did not offend anyone with my origianl post but i have posted on other sites in the past where its seems that all the responses were skirting around the question and telling you buy a different brand or something of that nature. So if my 2:00 AM post did offend anyone please accept my apology.

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
I have the 25" Incra system ... but I would recommend the 17" system if I were to do it again. Why? Well, when I bought the system the price different seemed to be very low between 17" and 25" ... so of course, I got the 25". It costs more than that difference though. First, the table has to be larger ... much larger. Second the space it consumes is much larger! And third, I have NEVER (in 5 years) used anything past that 17" point.

Now, if I could do it all again ... I would sell my system and just get the tablesaw system and put the router back on the end of my tablesaw. That would be ideal and no lose any functionality.

As for bits ... get the Whiteside bits.

joec

joe
User
I have been thinking about putting this on my "Norm" style router table. I think I would have to build a new top to make it work. Anyone with any experience with Norms table and this jig?

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
I have been thinking about putting this on my "Norm" style router table. I think I would have to build a new top to make it work. Anyone with any experience with Norms table and this jig?

Mine is on the Norm router table. It works well, however if I could do it over again I would design the base a bit different. You'll find yourself standing off the "end" of the table instead of the "front" based on how Norms table is designed compared to how the Incra jig installs. I opted to buy the top from Woodpeckers that matches the Incra system.

joec

joe
User
Mine is on the Norm router table. It works well, however if I could do it over again I would design the base a bit different. You'll find yourself standing off the "end" of the table instead of the "front" based on how Norms table is designed compared to how the Incra jig installs. I opted to buy the top from Woodpeckers that matches the Incra system.

So you took off the old top and added the one you purchased to the existing base? I was worried, as well, about standing on the side and having a narrow platform to support the wood as it was pushed through. I guess it must work well enough.

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
So you took off the old top and added the one you purchased to the existing base? I was worried, as well, about standing on the side and having a narrow platform to support the wood as it was pushed through. I guess it must work well enough.

Yes, it fit with no problem. The dimensions were correct. It's not too narrow IMHO and works well off the "end". :thumbs_up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS