Wife Decided to Give in to my Hobby

rcarmac

Board of Directors, Secretary
Robert
Staff member
Corporate Member
So my birthday was yesterday. My wife surprised me with a new tool, a new lathe. Guess I can’t get in trouble if she is the one that purchased it. Thanks to the good folks at Klingspor in Cary for helping her out. I wonder how many time that get a wife coming in make a surprise purchase like this.

On a side note. This is the first time I purchased a piece of machinery like this new. What do I do about the oil/grease that coating the raw metal. Just wipe it of with a dry rag, leave it, or use something special?
0A87CF17-503F-4C22-B1C7-A08AD4E9B3C2.jpeg

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
Nice!

To remove the oil/grease, use a solvent like mineral spirits. It's usually the residue left from the machining process, or present to prevent rust on raw iron/steel parts. You could leave it on the ways of the lathe as long as its not so thick it causes problems moving the banjo and tailstock.

-Mark

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Congratulations and happy birthday. Great gift that you’ll enjoy for a long time.

wolfsburged

New User
Bill
I like to use Boeshield T9 to wipe down any metal surfaces to stop rust. It also seems to work well to take off the shipping goo.

awldune

Sam
User
That must be the finest and most overbuilt benchtop lathe ever! Enjoy :)

Wipe off the grease with rags or (lots of) paper towels, then apply paste wax to unpainted surfaces to prevent rust.

If the lathe is not at an ideal height for you, it is probably worth building a stand for it.

Bill J

Bill
User
Happy Birthday!
a kerosene wipedown cleans the grease and leaves a fine coating of oil, but not enough to damage the wood. Once it dries you can use paste wax

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
Wax it before turning it on. After you remove the cosmoline, etc.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS