Wide Board Black Walnut Forsale

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jeff...

Just got in two nice (very little knots) Black Walnut logs in, above average size and grade. Logs should dress out at least with 14" wide boards with some 16 and above.

Logs are 18' long but we will cut them back to 8'. We have not sticked them but am guessing it's about 400 ~ 500 BF. This is above average BW you just don't see many this big anymore in this part of the country unless they come out of a someones yard full of yard trash (nails, metal, glass, rocks, etc...).

Price is 2.00 a BF fresh cut green off the log. If interested please specify 1/4 thickness starting at 4/4. I could do a group buy and deliver to Raleigh if no one wants it all.

Thanks

J

jeff...

How about I cut you one piece 4 1/4" thick x ~ 14" wide by 8' long that should give you 3 4x4's 8' long by the time your done ripping it to 4 1/4" wide, approx 40 BF.

Thanks

bonewood

New User
Alan
How long would it take to kiln dry 8/4, 6/4 and 4/4?

If the answer is right for me, I'll take 400 feet.

I know you don't dry, but I can take it to Charlotte.

J

jeff...

Bonewood, I'm working on a kiln design now and am going to be cutting SYP framing lumber this week. Very sorry about not yet being in a position yet to offer Kiln Dried. You may want to check with Kyle on the drying schedules. I'll be more than happy to slab the logs (live edges) for you.

Just let me know what you want to do and if you want all of it. I'm sure it will not sit around very long.

Oh and yes the logs are straight, these are nice logs. I'm almost decided to take them to the veneer yard but wanted to see if any NCWoodworker member were interested in them first.

Thanks

bonewood

New User
Alan
Kyle will dry it for me for .45 a foot. If I can get the whole shebang for 1.50 to 1.75 I'll take it.

bonewood

New User
Alan
Maybe I should let you school me.
I thought the first few cuts on a side would yield some nice table slabs before the dimensional cutting begins. Wouldn't want the lumber itself to be live edge, though, just the irregularly shaped slabs.

If I am a moron, please feel free to inform me pubically:lol:

J

jeff...

Maybe I should let you school me.
I thought the first few cuts on a side would yield some nice table slabs before the dimensional cutting begins. Wouldn't want the lumber itself to be live edge, though, just the irregularly shaped slabs.

If I am a moron, please feel free to inform me pubically:lol:

:lol: well I sure won't pubically :lol: publiclly perhaps but most definatly not pubically.

Actually your wider natural edged slabs will come from near the middle of the log. I usally edge the 2nd and 3rd cuts from the outside of the log. I could edge it all by making a cant and slicing dimensional boards off the cant or I could slab the entire log leaving natural edges on all the boards. I could do one log dimensional and the other slabbed or I could 1/2 of one log dimensional and the other half slabbed. It's your call how you want it sliced and diced.

But let me know what you want to do so I can figure out if I can do it for your price.

Thanks

bonewood

New User
Alan
Since I am still mired in ignorance even after your most informative post, tell me how you would do it to meet the $.
No firm needs--doing it on speculation.

J

jeff...

Bones if I were cutting for myself I would cut both logs in half to 8 ~ 9 lengths ending up with 4 logs. Put each one on the mill and slab of 4/4 thick slabs to produce the biggest cant I could that's on a 4/4 mark on the WM scale. Flip with widest face up and cut the thickness per the 1/4 inch scale that I wanted. I would then come back and edge the 4/4 slabs from each side to the widest boards I could get to the inch scale. I would need to think about what thickness, I would want out of each cant. 4/4 is pretty common, 8/4 is a little harder to come by and 8/4 wide board (over 10") should fetch a nice chunk of change once dry. Price out 8/4 10" and wider KD BW from some of the local lumber yards and you'll see what I mean.

Just my thoughts mind you, like I said it's up to you how you want it sliced and diced.

I really didn't want to say this but I really can't come down on the price much, the proceeds are going to help a family I met at the Duke NICU.

Thanks

bonewood

New User
Alan
Hmmmmm...dueling charities.
Mine are for Knothaid's daughter:eusa_thin

Lemme get back with you in a few.

J

jeff...

Hmmmmm...dueling charities.
Mine are for Knothaid's daughter:eusa_thin

Lemme get back with you in a few.

Bone - amazing I had no idea you were humping lumber for charity, since that's the case I'll gladly let these go to you for $1.75 a BF, why? because I get to help twice.

Just let me know how you want it cut.

Thanks

bonewood

New User
Alan
Done deal.

I am consulting with my lumber guru as to size configuration. Will give a complete cut list when he replies, and you can tell me where/how to get you the $$.

Sweetgum

New User
Brad Keisler
Bones humped 200 BF + (I don't think he counts foots good):drunken_s:drunken_s to me this past weekend...:-D

If you like 14" ribbon cherry boards 10ft long (5/4) with one tight knot (mind, it's highly figured crotch at the end of the board)--sequentially cut (7 altogether, same size, same figure)....then he's okay :eusa_pray:eusa_pray:eusa_danc:eusa_clap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors