Wide belt sander tip

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
I read this tip on another site. It is from the Customer Service team at Supermax. Anyone with a wide belt sander will find it useful. It concerns the black resin streaks that build up your sand paper and causes burning on the wood.

These black lines are build-up on and in the abrasive. Usually caused by a glue line or resin line in the stock being sanded. Easiest method to prevent/reduce these lines are to angle the stock being sanded. A 30 degree angle is ideal. If the stock is too wide for that, any angle is helpful. Even a 1 or 2 degree angle can dramatically reduce build-up.

As for resin lines, Cherry and Hard Maple are the most prone to this kind of build-up. Again, angling is helpful as is less depth of cut and a faster feed rate than used with other woods.

These lines can be removed with using clear plexiglass on edge as an abrasive cleaner. Or the abrasives can also be soaked in paint thinner or mineral spirits, which will dry out the build-up. Then it can be brushed out with a stiff nylon brush.

If the lines are developing from Cherry or Hard Maple and are not from glue lines, the other option is using a cooler running abrasive such as the blue Zirconium… Please let me know if you have questions or if I can be of any service.

Glennbear

Glenn
On a related note, a fellow NCWW member gave me a number of very large belts which had been taken out of service at a cabinet factory. The belts had a buildup of unburnt gunk/sap which was readily removed with Citrus type cleaner and a long handled medium bristle brush followed by a water rinse and drying on my sidewalk. Apparently belt replacement was easier for the factory than cleaning. I do not own a WB sander but slicing and dicing the belts into sizes which fit my ROS and pad sanders has saved me some coins. :wsmile:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS