Why...

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
COOL, will it have the casters in his new home or were they for something else?
Those casters will go on the table. It will make the large table easy to move for cleaning and maybe special processing.
For some shop shots, here's some process photos of that table. Not as awe inspiring as some of the projects above, but it was a fun and challenging project.
1    table a - 1.jpg
cutting the mortises in the legs

1    table a - 2.jpg
cutting the tenons on the apron boards

1    table a - 3.jpg
Pressure gluing the fastening cleat to the apron boards

1    table a - 4.jpg
Long side glued up

1    table a - 5.jpg
inside detail

1    table a - 6.jpg
Frame glued up and being lacquered. The thing under the white sheet is the jointer. It doesn't like overspray.

1    table a - 7.jpg
Portable power tools used

1    table a - 8.jpg
top being trimmed

1    table a - 9.jpg
corners being detailed

1    table a - 10.jpg
Top detailed, edge sanded and ready for a finish on the edge

1    table a - 11.jpg
Lower shelf being cut.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
THANK YOU Bob - REALLY Cool!

You need to take some more photos and a little story about that saw you are cutting the tenons on... that looks like a nice piece of vintage WW equipment!

hoodoo

Roger
Senior User
I am currently working on a farmhouse trestle dining table for my wife. Base is complete. Need to get started on the top.
dining table.jpg

I recently completed a simple wedding arbor for my nephew.
wedding_arbor.jpg

Here is a picture of the shop when we moved in last year. No real changes at this point. Nice to finally have a dedicated shop versus pulling one tool at a time out into the driveway to use them. Still need a workbench.
shop-sept2020.jpg

I got into woodworking because my wife wanted a coffee table. While looking at styles online I saw some cool Lego coffee tables. Convinced her to let me build one. Found out I'm not terrible at woodworking. Slowly building my skills ever since.

Next project is a Blessing Box for our church. I have all the pieces cut to size and ready for assembly and paint. The youth group is coming over Saturday to complete the project.

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
NICE! @hoodoo!
I like the table base - curious to see it when it is finished!

Having a dedicated space IS something I think a lot of people take for granted, but it makes thing SO much easier!

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
Great stuff folks and its good to see people making different things

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
THANK YOU Bob - REALLY Cool!

You need to take some more photos and a little story about that saw you are cutting the tenons on... that looks like a nice piece of vintage WW equipment!

Here's some shots. It is an ordinary Millbury LT-106 single end tenoner. Very compact and it works in a corner. I rebuilt it in the 1980s. It was sitting out in a field when I found it. I've had bigger tenoners, but they were way too big for my shop area.

1    Millbury LT-106 - 1.jpg
Back
1    Millbury LT-106 - 3.jpg
Side
1    Millbury LT-106 - 4.jpg
Front

1    Millbury LT-106 - 5.jpg
dual cutterheads, one up and one down rotating in opposite directions

1    Millbury LT-106 - 6.jpg
Tenoner in the corner with an old Oliver 144D mortiser.

bobby g

Bob
Corporate Member
I recently posted two contemporary pieces that that my unpaid apprentice Jean and I completed during the pandemic.
Headboard
IMG_1240.jpg

Sofa table
IMG_1472.jpg

We are currently working on the foyer table depicted by the model pictured below.
IMG_1542.jpgIMG_1543.jpg

As my mentor Tom Mc Laughlin says, a straight line is a wasted opportunity! :)

I've been messing with wood for 72 years. I started serious woodworking about 30 years ago. I designed and built a built-in dresser/bookcase for our new house. Instead of paying the cabinet shop to do it, I bought a Delta Contractor's saw and a Grizzley 6" jointer. For about the same money I built it myself. That was the beginning....

I love to teach woodworking and my friend Jean is the perfect student. She is a multi-media artist and contributes greatly to the designs!

Last edited:

Rick Mainhart

Rick
Corporate Member
Here is a peek at a part of my current project. (Sorry about the portrait layout).

These are two rosette blocks for the bookcase project I'm still working on. The bottom image was engraved with a 60 degree V-Bit in air-dried poplar. It's pretty ragged, partly because I missed the fact that the tip of the router bit was broken (sigh). Poplar is NOT my best choice for engraving. Also, I was using multiple lines to trace the lines within the image outline.

After pulling out a piece of hard maple and getting it down to 3/4" (these rosettes are 1-1/2" x 1-1/2" x 3/4"), I edited the image and cut with a 0.050" end mill in the CNC router. These worked out a bit better, but I need to apply the finish to ensure the results.

I got into woodworking to relax after spending my days working on high power electronics (high power AC and DC motor drives). Prior to this, I'd do repair carpentry as needed and assisted on some home renovation projects.

The latest person I helped is a friend who is a beekeeper and wants to make his own woodware (hive bodies, frames, bottom and top boards, etc). He is a great machinist and already has a few 3D printers, but woodworking takes additional knowledge that I'm happy to share. Latest project (after helping set up his new table saw) was to make a sliding tenoning fixture that rides on the fence to allow him to safely profile parts with the dado blade stack.

I've found that I am always learning something new, especially here, and appreciate everyone's ability and willingness to lend a hand, provide feedback, and most importantly, be friendly and welcoming.

Thanks and regards,

Rick

IMG_0598.JPG

dancam

Dan
Corporate Member
Well, the pandemic has created a lot of spare time for most folks. I've kept busy around the house with fixing and updating things with various household projects.

Got back in the shop and committed to cleaning up, organizing, and finding a use for a ton of scraps and off-cuts. I started to build some small gift boxes for our nieces and nephews and their kids and over this past year, I've made close to 100 boxes.

This was great therapy as well as giving me great pleasure to give them away to relatives and close friends.

Here are a couple of pictures
Gift Box 1.JPG
Gift Box 2.JPG
Gift Box 3.JPG
Gift Box 3.JPG
Gift Box 4.JPG
Keepsake 1.JPG
Keepsake 2.JPG
Keepsake 3.JPG
Li'l Tres 1.JPG
Li'l Tres 2.JPG
Li'l Tres 3.JPG

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Here's some shots. It is an ordinary Millbury LT-106 single end tenoner. Very compact and it works in a corner. I rebuilt it in the 1980s. It was sitting out in a field when I found it. I've had bigger tenoners, but they were way too big for my shop area.

View attachment 201030
Back
View attachment 201031
Side
View attachment 201032
Front

View attachment 201033
dual cutterheads, one up and one down rotating in opposite directions

View attachment 201034
Tenoner in the corner with an old Oliver 144D mortiser.
That is AWESOME! I didn't mention the mortiser, but DID notice it!

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I recently posted two contemporary pieces that that my unpaid apprentice Jean and I completed during the pandemic.
Headboard
View attachment 201041

Sofa table
View attachment 201042

We are currently working on the foyer table depicted by the model pictured below.
View attachment 201043View attachment 201044

As my mentor Tom Mc Laughlin says, a straight line is a wasted opportunity! :)

I've been messing with wood for 72 years. I started serious woodworking about 30 years ago. I designed and built a built-in dresser/bookcase for our new house. Instead of paying the cabinet shop to do it, I bought a Delta Contractor's saw and a Grizzley 6" jointer. For about the same money I built it myself. That was the beginning....

I love to teach woodworking and my friend Jean is the perfect student. She is a multi-media artist and contributes greatly to the designs!
I think you are getting the hang of this woodworking thing! LOL
Truly beautiful work!

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Here is a peek at a part of my current project. (Sorry about the portrait layout).
Rick @Rick Mainhart is that CNC work or manual? Either way, pretty cool!
I agree with the comment "... always learning something new, especially here, and appreciate everyone's ability and willingness to lend a hand, provide feedback, and most importantly, be friendly and welcoming."
This is the main reason I became a member and have stayed. Usually there is a quick answer to a question from someone who has done it, knows about it is researching it along with you!

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Well, the pandemic has created a lot of spare time for most folks. I've kept busy around the house with fixing and updating things with various household projects.

Got back in the shop and committed to cleaning up, organizing, and finding a use for a ton of scraps and off-cuts. I started to build some small gift boxes for our nieces and nephews and their kids and over this past year, I've made close to 100 boxes.

This was great therapy as well as giving me great pleasure to give them away to relatives and close friends.

Here are a couple of pictures
Therapy - Schmerpy - that is some pretty FINE woodworking right there! And I will bet every recipient appreciates them!

Rick Mainhart

Rick
Corporate Member
Hi Hank,

This was all done with a ShopBot PRT96 CNC router using a 1/8" shank 0.050" diameter end mill at 1"/second cut rate and 0.5"/second plunge rate. Had to use a 1/4" to 1/8" collet adapter (thank you Klingspor!) ... fun to see such small fine work on such a large machine (48" x 96" x 6" X,Y,Z for those unfamiliar with the PRT96).

I'm about out of procrastination points, so I'll be painting and installing this project soon ... I'll show photos of the process and final results if there is interest.

Regards,

Rick

Rick @Rick Mainhart is that CNC work or manual? Either way, pretty cool!
I agree with the comment "... always learning something new, especially here, and appreciate everyone's ability and willingness to lend a hand, provide feedback, and most importantly, be friendly and welcoming."
This is the main reason I became a member and have stayed. Usually there is a quick answer to a question from someone who has done it, knows about it is researching it along with you!

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Hi Hank,

This was all done with a ShopBot PRT96 CNC router using a 1/8" shank 0.050" diameter end mill at 1"/second cut rate and 0.5"/second plunge rate. Had to use a 1/4" to 1/8" collet adapter (thank you Klingspor!) ... fun to see such small fine work on such a large machine (48" x 96" x 6" X,Y,Z for those unfamiliar with the PRT96).

I'm about out of procrastination points, so I'll be painting and installing this project soon ... I'll show photos of the process and final results if there is interest.

Regards,

Rick
Can't wait to see it!

Bill_L

Bill
Corporate Member
No shop time for me (microdiscectomy end of March) but I'm hoping to finish some coasters I made a few weeks ago. I'm trying to determine what the best finish is (assuming they will have alcoholic drinks on them). I did "watch" my son make a pizza peel this weekend which we're pretty happy with. Once I'm able to BLT (bend / lift / twist - all things I'm not supposed to do for 8 weeks!!!) I'd like to build a top for a stand up desk. I think I'm going to order the Uplift V2 frame and use either cherry or walnut. This would be the largest project I've undertaken so I'm looking forward to it.

The wood was ~3/4" thick and I had to resaw on the table saw taking two passes. First time doing that so was somewhat nerve-wracking. One set has chamfered edges and other just rounded over.
coasters.jpg

Like the Arm-R-Seal gloss finish - just not sure how it'll stand up to use.
coasterfinsh.jpg

Just mineral oil - one coat. He may add another but ran out of time (gift).
pizzapeel.jpg

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
No shop time for me (microdiscectomy end of March) but I'm hoping to finish some coasters I made a few weeks ago. I'm trying to determine what the best finish is (assuming they will have alcoholic drinks on them).
Oh, My gosh!
I had to look up microdiscectomy :eek: :eek: :eek:
Sending you prayers and wishes for a effective procedure and quick recovery!
I was stir-crazy with the little healing time for the burn on my hand, I cannot imagine an 8-week recovery!!!

I think you will like the Arm-R-Seal, but my guess is the (Padauk?) will still turn (browner??) and the other wood will darken, even with the finish, but it will look "mellow" and still beautiful! I think it would be a good one for a coaster intended for (even with one of my vices attempting to damage it!) an adult beverage!

His pizza peal is REALLY cool!

Is your son a member here?

Bill_L

Bill
Corporate Member
Oh, My gosh!
I had to look up microdiscectomy :eek: :eek: :eek:
Sending you prayers and wishes for a effective procedure and quick recovery!
I was stir-crazy with the little healing time for the burn on my hand, I cannot imagine an 8-week recovery!!!

I think you will like the Arm-R-Seal, but my guess is the (Padauk?) will still turn (browner??) and the other wood will darken, even with the finish, but it will look "mellow" and still beautiful! I think it would be a good one for a coaster intended for (even with one of my vices attempting to damage it!) an adult beverage!

His pizza peal is REALLY cool!

Is your son a member here?

I appreciate your prayers...The amazing thing about the back surgery is that I was home by 2:00pm that day.

The coasters are all red oak and purpleheart. The issue with the Arm-R-Seal is the drying time (12-24 hours). I don't want to wait that long ;).

No, my son is not a member.

Trey1984

Trey
User
Just finished the metal today. 12x16 starter building for my wood working. If you ever get seconds at metal place in sanford make sure you go yourself to get it. That's what they sold me for seconds at $1.50 ft. But anyways when get saw, planer and everything set up will update pics. Super excited to actually have a place to set up everything and not have to set my stuff up outside every time wanted to make anything. Now just be able to go to building and do it. They 2 pics of pine with threw dovetails is going to be my alignment board for marking dovetails. Still have to add the fence for it and finish. Just something to make to keep practicing dovetails.

Attachments

• 20210407_180513.jpg
    20210407_180513.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 126
  • 20210407_180444.jpg
    20210407_180444.jpg
    7.1 MB · Views: 111
  • 20210407_180456.jpg
    20210407_180456.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 111
  • 20210313_170806.jpg
    20210313_170806.jpg