Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Why did you come to NCWW?
Why do you stay?
What do you like about NCWW?
What do you like about NCWW versus other forums (if you are a member of other forums)

What are two things NCWW does better than other forums? (or two things you like about NCWW)

What are two things you wish NCWW would do better? (or two things you DIS-like about NCWW)

I am trying to gather some information to help Scott market the NCWW forum and informally just gather information!

Steve_Honeycutt

Chat Administartor
Steve
I was looking for a solution to a problem that I encountered on one of my projects.

Why do you stay?
I stay for many reasons. The vast knowledge of woodworking and other subjects. The willingness to help others. The encouragement and positive comments on projects. The friendly nature of the forum. The regionality of the website. The ability to get to know people not just their online personality.

It is not just a web forum. These are actual people that you can get to know through workshops, regional lunches, summer picnic, etc. The diversity of the backgrounds of the members.

What do you like about NCWW versus other forums?
The regional aspect of the group, which makes things like a picnic, workshops, lunches, and pony express possible.

What are two things NCWW does better than other forums?
1. Vast array of knowledge on woodworking as well as other topics.
2. Safe and friendly website. I don't have a problem with my kids being on the website, because I know that they will not see or read anything inappropriate.

What are two things you wish NCWW would do better?
1. Reach out to the west and east sections of NC better. I am not sure what this would entail or whether it is a critical mass issue in each of these regions.
2. Be more welcoming to new members. This survey is a good start to find out why people come to the website and why they stay. May be new members need to know a few people on NCWW that shares their specific interests in woodworking and these more experienced members could encourage them to attend a workshop, Klingspor's Extravaganza, outreach event, picnic, etc. By getting new members to connect with someone, I'll bet they are more likely to stay longer.

nn4jw

New User
Jim

I stumbled across this site a little over 6 years ago and it looked interesting, especially the part about most members being here in NC.

Why do you stay?

I stay because I like to see the projects people post, and trading tools and such face to face seems quite a bit safer with members of this site as opposed to other well known buy/sell/trade sites.

If you choose to you can meet some very nice people with common interests in woodworking local to you. It's really much more of a club than just a web site.

What do you like about NCWW versus other forums (if you are a member of other forums)

The site is usually well but gently moderated and for the most part and mostly (but not always) free from trolls.

What are two things NCWW does better than other forums? (or two things you like about NCWW)

Seems like kind of a redundant question.

What are two things you wish NCWW would do better? (or two things you DIS-like about NCWW)

1. Understand a little better that there's a wide variation in people's interests and participation in woodworking and this site. For some it's an occasional thing driven by either the necessity to repair something needing woodworking skills or the desire to just build something. On the other end of the spectrum are the professionals. The professionals seem to cover a pretty broad spectrum, from construction to all levels of furniture making or more exotic and specialized skillsets like building musical instruments or historical recreations. Sprinkled across that spectrum are hobbiests with skillsets from beginners to very skilled.

2. An extension of #1 is that because this site/group is open to a wide range of skills and interests and not a closed group it appears that the majority of members are not particularly interested in the "outreach" or "recruiting" activities that some are. I have seen a few posts over the years bemoaning that. Regardless of how this organization was founded, those interested in those activities seem more like a special interest group (SIG) within the larger organization today. Encouraging like minded members to participate in that SIG is fine and dandy, but sometimes that encouragement crosses the line into browbeating it seems to me. If the board wants the majority of members to conform to the "mission" then make that clear, encourage those not interested in the "mission" to leave and make this a closed site for only the like minded.

Last edited:

richlife

New User
Rich
(Hey, Hank -- see my PM.)

Longtime woodworker, was trying to establish small business, wanted access to info, help and try to contribute.

Why do you stay?
Just can't shake the need to be woodworking aware. My participation has severely waned, but my interest has not. Hoping to again be more involved.

Great stories, wonderful works, fabulous resource for help.

This forum has kept itself vital. The members are always helpful and informative. Even when I can't participate, I feel like NCWW is a bit of "home".

Keeps re-vitalizing itself.
Communicates to and with its members.
(Freebie:) There is just no better resource.

It's disappointing that my inability to stay involved results in losing some privileges (Post For Sale) -- understandable I guess, but disappointing.
(I wish I could come up with more, but frankly NCWW is pretty much the best -- - at least from my old school point of view. I'm not a fan of social media in general. I like that here I can manage my participation and access explicitly what I want or need.)

pcooper

Phillip Cooper
Corporate Member
I moved to NC in 2004 and being a woodworker was looking for folks that also did the same... and found the online forum that was well done and had a lot of useful information. I couldn't pass it up!
Why do you stay?
I have found a lot of great/useful information that sometimes I didn't know I was looking for.
Very knowledgeable and friendly folks on here from all over that share freely things that help others be better at woodworking, and more.
Others are harder to get to know the participants because they're not as closely located as our group is, even though we're all across the state, as well as others, most of us are a short drive from other members so we can actually meet face to face when we want to.

I'm not sure on this one, I don't spend enough time on other forums to form an opinion anymore.

Not sure on this one, I like the suggestions that were posted previously about reaching out to more areas toward the western part of the state, not much goes on outside of certain areas, and that could be a lack of effort on the part of those who live in those areas.

Leviblue

Kevin
Corporate Member
I was looking for like minded people to connect with.

Why do you stay?
To find out information on a problem I may have encountered with a project. Offer input on topics I feel I can speak intelligently about, most of the time.​

This is a relaxed group willing to offer solutions, opinions and occasionally a bad joke (that we all laugh at for the most part) The knowledge that this group has and willing to share is great. Plus you can actually meet the people that are here at a sponsored event, at their shop or at a local lunching.​

Being able to meet the people that you interact online with in person. Being part of a larger group.​

Getting people involved! The outreach program, getting accurate regional information on where to find a tool, type of wood or a service.​
Everyone has an opportunity to be involved in some way. This can be by serving on the board, organizing an event or participating in a shop crawl.​

I don't have any input on this one.​

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Thank you to everyone for your replies - PLEASE keep them coming!

badger fan

Bruce
User
Hank,
1.Why did you come to NCWW? A friend of mine told me about the site and said that he found the site very helpful, well managed and connects one with great people with a love of wood.
2. Why do you stay? I stay because the values of the site and the things that were communicated to me by my friend have been exactly true. I enjoy seeing the variety of topics, issues, questions, and input that are given. I love pictures, although I am terrible at posting myself. And finally, I enjoy the picnic when I am in town
3.What do you like about NCWW? I likely have already answered this, but I would also add that I like the ability to search for past answers to my question that I have at the time. In addition, I like the ability to post things for sale, although I have been a buyer not a seller.
4.What do you like about NCWW versus other forums (if you are a member of other forums). I do not frequent other forums, this is my go to place.
5. What are two things NCWW does better than other forums? (or two things you like about NCWW) Since I do not go to other forums, my answer may not be helpful, but the fact that you can connect personally with members is a big deal to me. I prefer to have the human connection along with the electronic. It is just more interesting to me.
6. What are two things you wish NCWW would do better? (or two things you DIS-like about NCWW). I don't have any significant input on this one since the site is well managed and staffed by volunteers it is awesome in my mind. I find myself as not always a computer savvy person but not an illiterate either, so maybe if there were a place or time when we could have some computer training on how to utilize all that the site has to offer? maybe at the picnic's or other time?
Thank you to the staff and the developers who have given so much time for the enjoyment of the craft.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Talked into it by Cathy Skipper (Cskipper) who I meet on a scroll saw forum.

Why do you stay?
Made some instant friends. Learned a lot and grew in my skills and knowledge. This site allows me the ability to give back from working with wounded warriors to doing demos at shows.

The chemistry. People helping people. People sharing and giving with no strings attached. More like family then a bunch of strangers.

Same as above

We have more face to face interaction

Bring back shop crawls as a regular event (semi annually)
Would like to see us do a toys for tots or other such project.

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
I discovered NCWW by accident. I've made some great friends and acquaintances. Among them are Scott Smith, SkyMaster, Bruce Swanson, and many more.

I've gotten valuable advice on woodworking and many other things. It's my "go to" source for help with woodworking projects.

The Urn program has enabled me to give back in a small way.

It's a friendly site with less bickering than most others I've visited.

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
I stumbled on to NCWW while doing a web search for such a web site. After reading some of the posts and looking at the gallery I knew I needed stick around learn and hopefully share some of what I know.
Why do you stay?
I have meet many really good people here, and I have developed many lasting friendships within this community.

The sense of community, the sharing of knowledge, the helping of others within the community, and out reach with in the community at large,

I used to frequent other forums and there are some things we could learn from them, however, we are a smaller community and are unique in our structure. The sense of community within and committed to that has us in a unique position among the woodworking community.

I like the opportunities that this group opens up for folks to demonstrate to the general public the things woodworking brings to the table and how it can enhance your life.
The sense of community with in the forum.

Without trying to beat a dead horse, I would like to see a way to recruit more folks to participate with the out reach program. It is a crucial part of this forum and what it is based on.
If we could develop and create relationships with organizations local schools such as Saw Tooth in Winston, Chestnutcreek School of the arts in Galax, Va. along with others to include Stuart Kent, and stronger bonds with local arts counsels with the area I feel would boost our strength. Just a thought.

I am trying to gather some information to help Scott market the NCWW forum and informally just gather information!

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member

I was searching the web for a local wood working school that I could afford.

Why do you stay?

Still haven’t found a local school I can afford.

I like most of the people, I have some social anxiety issues and am mostly very introverted. People here seem to be much easier to get along with.

I no longer visit any other forums. I used to help admin a survival site but it got more and more weird so I left. Tried a few other WW sites but the people seemed to only accept very experienced craftsmen and were very rude to beginners like me.

No comment

No comment

Scott is doing a great job, much better than that old guy he replaced.

LocoWoodWork

Steve
Corporate Member
To learn more about woodworking

Why do you stay?
Haven't learned it all yet

Lost of knowledgeable folks of which many are close by

Seems more personal, close knit.

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
I had recently moved to NC and was looking for some place to fit in my hobby! I found NCWW and the rest is history!

Why do you stay?
The people, the camaraderie, the pure enjoyment I get from being a part of this group.

Defer to last question!

I am a member of some other forums, but I rarely visit them. Don't know why other than NCWW fulfills my fix so I don't need to go elsewhere.

Defer to previous questions.

For such a large membership, I wish there was a way to bring out more members to events. I realize that with most any type of "group", there are active members and "lurkers". It would be nice to figure out how to bring out the lurkers.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS