Why not corrugated soles?

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
I recently saw a comment suggesting smooth sole planes were generally better users than corrugated. Two of three of my favorite planes, my #4 and #5 are corrugated. I was wondering what wisdom is suggesting this? Sure, if trimming a 1/8 edge I can see that, but why else?

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
For what it’s worth.

What benefits do you think you see in your corrugated soles?

Full disclosure: I have exactly one corrugated sole plane, an #8C. My favorite user is a Primus smoother with a wood body and - gasp - a stainless steel sole.

-Mark

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
My "favorite" plane to use is my #6 corrugated sole. IMHO, the corrugated sole on the larger planes seems to drag a little less when you get to a smooth surface. It also a little quicker when flattening the sole. I guess that might be offset by it wearing a little quicker for a heavy user on harder woods, but I doubt I will ever wear mine enough to need reflattening at this point in my life. I have both types in #5 and #6, and have not found it to be problem.

AlanJ

New User
Alan
I think you hit it with your comment. Not as good on an uneven surface especially when you are chamfering the edge or have a narrow piece. If there is any advantage to using corrugated it is bound to be minimal. Less material when flattening yes. Friction between two surfaces is not calculated by including the surface area in contact. Friction coefficient (determined empirically and recorded for engineers and others long ago) and force perpendicular to surfaces.

mdbuntyn

Matt
Staff member
Corporate Member
On particularly resinous/sappy wood, the corrugations on my vintage 5½ get gummed up which can lead to tracks. I've also had the corrugations get caught on corners and chip them. That being said, it all boils down to your preferences and how the plane performs in your workflow.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Well, never had any issues with gumming up, and I use my pocket L-N for easing edges, so I guess any downside I have not seen. I keep waxed so maybe that helps. My two planes just happened to be corrugated. Not found or bought by intention. Not worried about it, just a bit curious.

FWIW, I think I grab my Bailey over my Wood River because it is lighter and I am used to it. It was my only plane for maybe 30 years. Just not used to the heft of the W-R.

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
The only advantage I've read which made sense to me is that corrugated sole planes have less friction b/c there is less contact surface. Whether that's enough to notice or matter, I can't say. I have both kinds and don't really notice a difference.

I will emphasize (along with others) that a corrugated sole is a disadvantage when it comes to planing thin stock. I often clamp a No 5 upside down in my face vise and use it to joint 1/8" stock, moving the wood instead of the plane. The only way this works if the sole is corrugated is to run the stock at a slight angle.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I will emphasize (along with others) that a corrugated sole is a disadvantage when it comes to planing thin stock. I often clamp a No 5 upside down in my face vise and use it to joint 1/8" stock, moving the wood instead of the plane. The only way this works if the sole is corrugated is to run the stock at a slight angle.
I plane thin stock with corrugated sole hand planes all the time.
Hold the plane at an angle as you guide it forward.
Skewed hand planing should be standard practice anyway since the blade cuts much better this way.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
I often clamp a No 5 upside down in my face vise and use it to joint 1/8" stock, moving the wood instead of the plane.
Clamping the plane in a vise is something I do all the time for easing or de-burring the edge of Lexan type plastics. The corrugated plane bottom is a non-starter. I'd prefer to use a #8 but my copy has the grooves on the bottom so I'm stuck with a #7 (actually a 607 Bedrock).

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS