Why do powered hand tool manufacturer's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Endless Pursuit

New User
Jeff
Not make a larger storage compartment in the carrying case for the power cord? With the glowing exception of Milwaukee, all the cases for my power tools have a cord storage area that requires packing it like I'm the manufacturer and shipping volume is a cost issue.

Seems like a marketing opportunity for some company.

Charles Lent

Charley
Corporate Member
I agree. They should also make the case large enough and designed to fit all of the standard options, even if the tool was bought with a very minimum of them such as a router guide with a router and a Kreg jig with the clamping pliers, bits, etc. that normally get used with it. For the Kreg I can deal with the need for a second box to carry the screws, but the main box should be capable of holding everything else.

In fact, if all the companies that make hand power tools got together and standardized the outside of their boxes so they would all fit together like systainers no matter which brands they are, it would be great. No more crooked stacks of tool containers on the hand truck going into and back from the job and a neat and orderly truck interior with locked together tool container stacks sitting side by side or snapped into mounting points on the sides of the truck.

Charley

gritz

New User
Robert
As you inferred, since most tools are made overseas, they are made to ship economically, not for form or function.

SubGuy

Administrator
Zach
From what I can see, there is often room in the case for cords, good configuration within the case seems the problem for all but B&D type tools. I just don't think they have put enough thought into it, engineering cost money and a head scratching molder will just do what seems right for him I suppose.

Rick M

New User
Rick
Case sizes and shapes are made to consideration of the retailers. If you don't meet their requirements then you don't get shelf space. But I believe they could do that and provide a little extra space. Some of my cases are an inch thick.
- sent via Tapatalk

mark2

Mark
Corporate Member
on most of my usage of portables, the 5'-6' cord is useless without an extension cord - maybe the better idea would be to reduce included cords to nothing more than a pigtail or?

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
All of my Systainers have plenty of room for cords and a bunch of accessories.
So Rick are you saying that someone has figured out that there is "...a marketing opportunity for some company." and they have taken up the gauntlet?:rolleyes:

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
Who keeps their tools in the original case?
I'm lucky if I can find the tool, much less the case!

Oh, I get it -- if you keep the tool in the case its easier to find!

:)

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Who keeps their tools in the original case?
I'm lucky if I can find the tool, much less the case!

Oh, I get it -- if you keep the tool in the case its easier to find!

:)

I thought your tools were supposed to be within arms reach?
Hey! stop looking at my stuff!:rotflm:

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I made custom cases for some of my tools out of 3/4 inch square softwood for the corners and 1/4 luan plywood. I have one I still use some for my Bosch jigsaw. I like having space for extra blades, and the rip guide, and the little aluminum table. It all fits in a case about 4 inches thick and not much more than a foot square. With the cord. I also use the one for my Milwaukee circular saw. It holds the saw, blades, the wrench, and rip guide.

I don't plan any Festool purchases, any company that won't put real dimensions on their products doesn't deserve my business, but detachable cords is a pretty good idea. They have a lot of good ideas. I just wish they weren't as pricey as they are - and that they would put fractional inches, not metrics, on their tools.

I threw away most of the plastic cases that came with my tools when we moved out of the "old" house last year. I had been saving them but not using them so I decided it was time for them to go away.

I use the case that came with my DeWalt tracksaw. It easily holds the saw and also the clamps for the track. It isn't terribly well designed but works fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS