Who's been in construction for a really long time?

Sourwould

New User
Taylor
Wasn't really sure which section to put this.

I found some old hard hats at a thrift store. Does anyone here remember fiberglass hard hats being the norm? These are miner's hats, from the lamp mount and the fact that they say something about the Pennsylvania Coal Mine Commission. The blue hat is glow in the dark (very cool) and has an ANSI 1969 date. The brown cap has a 1959 safety standard date and seems to be reinforced with canvas. Union made, so you know it's old.

MSAskullgard1.jpg

MSAskullgard2.jpg

MSAskullgard3.jpg

Superglas1.jpg

Superglas2.jpg

Ray Morgan

Ray
Corporate Member
That looks like some old caving hard hats. I remember seeing the blue glow in dark for sale new in the early to mid 80's. They look too clean to have been used in coal mines. I believe MSA is still in business. Sold a lot of hard hats and headlights to coon hunters too.

Sourwould

New User
Taylor
That looks like some old caving hard hats. I remember seeing the blue glow in dark for sale new in the early to mid 80's. They look too clean to have been used in coal mines. I believe MSA is still in business. Sold a lot of hard hats and headlights to coon hunters too.

You're right, these are wayyy too clean.

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
Saw some of the fiberglass hats back in my days (mid '70's) with CB&I. They were designed for welders, however.

BWhitney

Bruce
Corporate Member
Just my opinion, but I think plastic/fiberglass is required these days. My old (1963ish) aluminum isn't allowed on a job site any more!

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Just my opinion, but I think plastic/fiberglass is required these days. My old (1963ish) aluminum isn't allowed on a job site any more!
You’re correct, actually all of then are of a plastic product these days. However, interesting find.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Those are 80's vintage, I had one just like it Back then I replaced it in the 90's with a similar one and just replaced that one with a carbon fiber one 3 months ago. IT is lighter than the old one. But, my 1st was a Aluminum Hard Hat in the 70's

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
First hard hats came about on Hoover Dam project. Guys would dip straw hats in multiple coats of tar and let it harden. Rock climbers used them to protect from falling debris from other rock climbers. Rock climbing wasn't a sport, but guys with jack hammers lowered over the side of the clift to chip away at the stone faces of the canyon. In the seventies, there was a Turtle Club for construction workers. To join, your hard hat had to have saved you from injury. Motto was "Shell on my head, so I'm not dead." Plastic hats were originally used by power company linemen, for obvious reasons

Jeff

New User
Jeff
In the steel mills a hard hat was required. They look very similar to the pics.

Sourwould

New User
Taylor
First hard hats came about on Hoover Dam project. Guys would dip straw hats in multiple coats of tar and let it harden. Rock climbers used them to protect from falling debris from other rock climbers. Rock climbing wasn't a sport, but guys with jack hammers lowered over the side of the clift to chip away at the stone faces of the canyon. In the seventies, there was a Turtle Club for construction workers. To join, your hard hat had to have saved you from injury. Motto was "Shell on my head, so I'm not dead." Plastic hats were originally used by power company linemen, for obvious reasons

My how things have changed.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS