WHo repairs Bandsaw blades?

Status
Not open for further replies.

skysharks

New User
John Macmaster
Hey all, I thought that I would ask the clan who might know where to get a lenox Trimaster bandsaw blade re-welded.
I was doing some re-sawing today, on about a 6 1/2 " piece of walnut.
I needed to narrow it down from 1 3/4" to 1 3/8" thick. SO instead of planning it all off I was re-sawing it down to a more economical size. I was then going to finish it up on the planer.

I was half way thru the length when BAMMMMM, she snapped.:cry_smile Right on the factory weld.
I'm not quite sure why, but I suspect I may have had the tension up too high. I had already re-sawed about 8 pieces the same way.

I love this blade and she is plenty sharp. Clean break, looks to me like the factory weld just let go.

SO where do I take it, or can it be re-welded?

MAC

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Hey MAC Man - how you been?

I had the same problem with Lenox woodmaster c's that I used to use on the sawmill. I really like Lenox blades but had to switch out because they kept busting in the weld (not all but most). The timbermasters are considerably less expensive than your Trimaster that's why I never bothered trying to return my box of 15, I just used them till they all snapped or worn out. But if I were you I'd see if you can return yours for repair.

Thanks

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Mac,
You didn't say how wide your blade is vs what size bandsaw you were using. The Lennox tech guy told me the widest Trimaster blade he recommends on an 18" saw is 3/4" otherwise expect to have it break often. Those blades are not really intended for small wheels. Farris Belt and Saw in Charlotte welds Trimasters for $12. Wherever you go for this check the allignment closely with a straight edge against the teeth at the weld before you leave. They had to do mine and Jeremy's over d/t a ~1/32" hump.

Farris Belt and Saw
235 Foster Av.
Charlotte NC, 28203

704 527 6166
1 800 237 9917

skysharks

New User
John Macmaster
I have a 17" grizzly GO513x2. The blade is only a 1/2". I am thinking of getting 3/4 or a 1" for resawing. This BS has a quick tension release, which I use religiously after use.
I wouldn't think that they should break at the factory welds.

I appreciate your information, and clue what to watch for. I was hoping that there was someplace within driving distance of me (1 hour or less) Charlotte is a bit too far.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Most premature bandsaw breakage occurs in the weld. The welding temperatures do funny things to the hardened steel. Silver soldering your own blades eventually becomes interesting because the heating process isn't as traumatic to the steel. I've had my own blades break at the joint where I've silver soldered them, but it was always my fault

Here's the thread from another forum that shows the process. Being able to repair your own blades reduces the impact of a blade breakage from "Oh *X#@$!" to "Phooey, now I've got to re-weld this blade". Woodworkers will be using a bandsaw for a long time, so this bit of self-sufficiency is a good thing.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Bob,
I looked into soldering when I delt with it a few months ago on my Trimaster blades. Soldering works great on thinner blades but not on the thick Trimaster blade stock. The tension they require literaly pulls them apart. They need a solid steel junction that only comes from a weld.

skysharks

New User
John Macmaster
Just a little info here. I have been on the phone to no less than 5 shops all around the NC area. It seems that no body stocks the Lennox tri-master band stock.
They all have to order from Lennox due to 1. cost of the stock to high to keep in inventory and 2. Demand for it isn't that great that would justify it.
Of course I am trying to be thrifty here so I am shopping around on the internet to find the lowest cost.
I could go back down to none carbide blade, but after using carbide for the last 3-4 years, got spoiled.
That and I put the original blade back on the Bandsaw and tried to cut with it. My reaction was, what the @#$)@ is this.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Hi Mac - I owe you a phone call!

I too have a broken bandsaw blade that needs welding (a metal cutting blade in my instance). Raleigh Saw in North Raleigh will reweld the blade - their normal charge on small blades is 5 bucks.

If you want to stop by the farm, we can ride together up to Raleigh Saw and catch up at the same time.

Scott

skysharks

New User
John Macmaster
Hey All I thought that I would let you know the final out come, of my Blade breakage etc.
First off, and thanks to several of our members I called all around the state of NC in search of Lennox Tri-master blade stock:help:.:eusa_pray

Nobody stocks it, they all had to order it.:BangHead:
I had previously bought online from http://www.toolcenter.com. However their pricing for a 1/2" tri- master 131 1/2" was around 165.00.
Then I found this place in PA, http://www.grandsaw.com/sawblades.html
Their price for the same blade was 117.49. :icon_cheers:icon_cheers No brainer right, so I ordered on Monday and it arrived Wednesday.:eek:ccasion1
Now one of the places here in NC that was mentioned"

Farris Belt and Saw
235 Foster Av.
Charlotte NC, 28203

704 527 6166
1 800 237 9917
I also called them on Monday, looking for Carbide tip blades. while they do not carry Lennox Tri-Master in stock they do have Sterling.
I don't know anything about Sterling, but was told that it is carbide tipped blade also.
I was informed the lady that quotes the prices was in a meeting but would get back with me. Sorry to say it wasn't til the next day, by then I had already ordered from Grand.
When she did call the Sterling blades were quoted even cheaper around 105.00 for the same size.
Might be something to check into, if your into cutting wood like butter with a carbide blade.:saw:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS