Who I am.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Welcome to NCWW Taylor. You can learn a lot from the members here so don't hesitate to ask questions of any sort.

What brings you to Durham as a 29 year old carpenter with a growing interest in woodworking?

Sourwould

New User
Taylor
Welcome to NCWW Taylor. You can learn a lot from the members here so don't hesitate to ask questions of any sort.

What brings you to Durham as a 29 year old carpenter with a growing interest in woodworking?

I grew up in Asheville, which has become kind of a dystopian Disneyland. You can expect to make $13-14/hr as a carpenter and pay $1600/month for a run down ranch house with no AC. So moving to Durham was a major improvement in my quality of life, aside from my brain poaching in my skull during these low land summers.

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
Welcome to the flatlands (and the forum). Like you, I'm a refugee from Western NC now living in Raleigh.

Sourwould

New User
Taylor
Welcome to the flatlands (and the forum). Like you, I'm a refugee from Western NC now living in Raleigh.
Haha, Refugee, I like that. Does everyone you meet look perplexed when you tell them you moved from WNC? What part are you from?

McRabbet

Rob
Corporate Member
Welcome to the forum, but I need to differ slightly with your move -- I moved from the Triangle 16 years ago to the Asheville area and love it -- I agree that one could pick a better place than Asheville which is why we moved to Hendersonville in 2004. Nice climate, not expensive, good access to medical and cultural resources, low traffic and no brain baking summer heat!

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
What part are you from?
I'm from a small town (Andrews) about 90 miles west of Asheville, though I did go to Mars Hill College which is just north of Asheville. North Carolina is a looong state and most folks think it ends at Asheville if you're going west. I've lived in this area since graduating from NCSU in '87. My wife (whom I met at MHC) is from the SC coast. Raleigh was a good compromise for us -- about equidistant from each. There's a lot to offer here and (eventually) you learn how to cope with the summers. When you can't, head west. The mountains are always calling and aren't that far away.

Steve_Honeycutt

Chat Administartor
Steve
Welcome to NCWW. You have come to the right place to learn about woodworking. There is a tremendous number of smart people here and they are willing to share their knowledge. Don't be afraid to ask questions?

I grew up between Asheville and Weaverville. I have also lived in east Asheville near the highway patrol station. I moved to Greensboro 14 years ago, but I still have many relatives in the Asheville area.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Welcome to the forum, great bunch of talented people here, reach out whenever you have a question, someone here probably has done it a million times and can steer you in the right direction.

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Welcome to the forum Taylor, you’ll find thing to your liking in these flat lands.

Sourwood

New User
Graham
Coincidental user name! I’m actually moving TO Asheville in a few weeks (coming from Colorado). Went to college in Durham, and love the triangle area - agree with you about the intense summer heat...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS