Who has a boom?

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User
I want to get my dust extractor hose up and out of the way.

I'm thinking of mounting a couple of these to a wall...
1662574309861.png

...with a couple of these:
1662574377123.png

Maybe something like this:
1662574467049.png

Or this:
1662574852610.png

Anyone else make a boom you'd like to share?

Last edited:

HITCH-

Hitch
Corporate Member
I don't have one but I am thinking about setting one up above my tablesaw and assembly /sanding bench.
I just watched this video the other day.
You might gets some ideas from it.

Reactions: drw

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User
Thanks. I did see that one and I got a few ideas from it.

Because of my shop layout, I need mine to be shorter when I turn it to the right and longer to the left, so I'm planning on having it fold in the middle. His boom folds to the right, so he has only 90° of sweep. That looks like it works well in his shop, but in mine I need 180° which is why I'm going to try to go with the hinges I posted or something like them.

His hose is also semi-permanent. He can't simply take down his hose without cutting a bunch of zip ties. When I cut up large sheet goods I have to pull a car out of the garage to do so. I want to be able to remove the hose and roll my DE over to use my track saw. My hose won't reach if it's mounted semi-permanently in a boom. I'm thinking of mounting some PVC pipe on top of the boom that I can simply slide the hose in and out of as necessary.

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
I made a boom for a light mount on the lathe. I used 1" square tubing in two sections maybe 15" long. I used regular bolts and the bronze bushing similar to what you have pictured. It was functional but sag/slop in the joints caused it to drift on its own. I'm sure shoulder bolts could have been used to 'tighten it up.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
I do this, very low tech method.
The vac hose goes up to about 7' hung on my lumber rack. It is simply hung across a <3' gap to the ceiling mounted TS guard. From there I connect to the TS guard, or put in an extension hose and connect to sander or Domino on the bench (behind the TS). Ugly, but pretty effective. This maximizes the hose length, but keeps the hose off the floor!

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User
I do this, very low tech method.
The vac hose goes up to about 7' hung on my lumber rack. It is simply hung across a <3' gap to the ceiling mounted TS guard. From there I connect to the TS guard, or put in an extension hose and connect to sander or Domino on the bench (behind the TS). Ugly, but pretty effective. This maximizes the hose length, but keeps the hose off the floor!
I thought about just getting those hooks you can get to hang garden tools like shovels and such. They're about the same diameter as the hose. Just screw a bunch of them into the ceiling and route the hose anywhere I want. The main reason I prefer the boom is that the hooks would mean getting up on a stepladder every time I need to change the destination of the hose.

tri4sale

Daniel
Corporate Member
So I take it that's connected to overhead piping for a dust collector?

Mine will be for a 27 mm hose to a dust extractor. It will be used mostly for sanders, a track saw and a domino.

Yes, it goes to my dust collector. You could use a 4" to 2.5" convertor.

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User
Yes, it goes to my dust collector. You could use a 4" to 2.5" convertor.
I don't have any plumbing for my dust collector. My table saw is only 10' from the DC so I just use a DustRight connector. I use the DE for my handheld tools, band saw and drill press. That's the hose I'm trying to get out of the way.

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
Martin, what sort of reach are you looking for with your boom? I didn't see that in any of your posts. I built a manipulating arm to carry my dust chute behind my lathe. But it's only about 4' long. I don't see why it couldn't be longer. BTW, I copied Charlie's dust chute manipulator that he uses on his lathe so he gets all the credit!

Charles Lent

Charley
Corporate Member
My shop ceiling is only 8', so I just installed hooks on the ceiling in the directions that I usually want to run the vac hose. Holding the hose up in a loop shape lets me put it on the hook without a ladder. Then I can pull the slack out and repeat the process for the next hook. It's usually only routed to the center workbench, so an easy job to hook it up on the ceiling with only 3 hooks necessary. To the scroll saws takes installing on a few more hooks. An old broom handle with a U shaped wooden hook on the end is another method that I use sometimes when I can't easily hook or unhook the vac hose.

Charley

jfynyson

Jeremy
User
Several have already chimed in but I made one years ago in my previous shop before we moved (it's in storage now) that was made from EMT piping and electrical conduit elbows for low cost and it worked great. If interested in knowing more about this setup let me know and I'll look for pics of how I had it pivot.

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User
Several have already chimed in but I made one years ago in my previous shop before we moved (it's in storage now) that was made from EMT piping and electrical conduit elbows for low cost and it worked great. If interested in knowing more about this setup let me know and I'll look for pics of how I had it pivot.
That would be great if it's not too much trouble. I didn't think of that.

jfynyson

Jeremy
User
That would be great if it's not too much trouble. I didn't think of that.
These are the best pics I could find. Used a black pipe (gas pipe) flange screwed to the wall with a 90* elbow & short nipple coming off of it. The EMT just slipped over the 90* black pipe elbow/nipple (never fell off and pivoted very easy (too easy hence the velcro attached to the drill press top keep it out of the way). Used velcro tape to hold the vac hosing. Only reason for the EMT coupler at the end was to keep the velcro from sliding off but could've simply drilled in a screw through the EMT as well. Super cheap and worked perfect every time and that Rockler collapsible hose is not light weight. Of course the dowels to keep the sander running while moving parts around to be sanded was a huge benefit...of course this won't work with every sander type but really think of some kind of sander support to not have to turn it off and on so much.

Attachments

• IMG_0477.JPG
    IMG_0477.JPG
    457.8 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_0483.JPG
    IMG_0483.JPG
    774.7 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_0479.JPG
    IMG_0479.JPG
    295.5 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_0478.JPG
    IMG_0478.JPG