Who are today's furniture design and craftsman rock stars?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kooshball

David
Corporate Member
Title says it all, who are the Sam Maloofs, George Nakashimas, Green & Greens of today? I have coffe table books from all the folks previously mentioned; who's work is going to be son's coffee table?

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
I don't know that I would call any of these "Rock Stars", but here are a few of the well known craftsmen I like:

Christian Becksvoort specializes in Shaker reproductions and lives in Maine.

Garrett Hack does some very innovative work and often mixes woods for a special effect. He lives in Vermont.

Lonnie Bird lives in Tennessee and does some beautiful work w/ traditional American period pieces.

There are lots of others whose work I have admired and learned from, but these are three that come to mind immediately.

cyclopentadiene

Update your profile with your name
User
I have a few places for inspiration of upcoming artisans

1) Smithsonian Renwick Gallery particularly the 40 Artisans under 40 series
2)fine woodworking magazine
3)San Diego State Fair Design in Wood competition sdwfa.org
4) This site as there are many excellent woodworkers here.
Shamrock for example will be a big name someday after he completes his formal training.
5) Highland artisans guild and the many galleries in Asheville NC
6) the artisans on Custommade.com

Those that become coffee table books are difficult to identify but there are lots of sources out there.

Shamrock

New User
Michael
Here's a few on my watch list:

the ones you probably know

1) Michael Fortune
2) Jeff Miller
3) Brian Boggs

and a few you may not know

4) Craig Thibodeau
5) Reed Hansuld

not a complete list by any means but just a little of the fuel that I use to get some inspiration when I need it!

And no list would be complete without a listing of fellow members:

1)Charlie (who can doubt Yoda)
2)cyclopenttadiene
3)RonJ
4)mzettl
5) some of the lesser known turnings of the expat Woodwrangler are pretty snazzy
6)stave
7)Ernie
8) and maybe me (is it possible to give yourself a shout-out?):gar-Bi shame less plug- check out the blog www.shamrockwoodstudio.com

Next player up..

Charlie

Charlie
Corporate Member
Michael,
Good to hear from you.
Thanks for the pat on the back.
You deserve to give yourself a shout-out. Your work is outstanding.
I hope school is going well for you.

Chilihead

New User
Chilihead
I'll second the Brian Boggs recommendation. He's doing amazing work with some incredible cutting edge joinery.

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
While all the names mentioned here are extremely talented artisans, none of them have a style they can call their own. Names like Greene and Greene, Stickley, Maloof just to name a few, they all created their own styles of furniture. I sure Im wrong, but There doesnt seem to be any new "styles" emerging today. I think that is what David was after here.

cyclopentadiene

Update your profile with your name
User
Mike, great to hear from you. The blog is excellent. Hope Boston is not too cold this winter.

A few others that I find inspiring with very original designs.

Judson Beaumont. Straightlinedesigns.com. Very unique designs of whimsical furniture

Seth Rolland sethrolland.com unique table designs

Paul Wanrooij. paulusfurniture.com. Unique table designs

Phillip Lee Stapleton custommade.com/by/Stapleton Extremely unique, not even sure it is even made of wood!

kooshball

David
Corporate Member
Thanks folks! This gives me many new places for inspiration. I look forward to checking out all the links and names.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS